There is no doubt that breastfeeding is natural. However, the early days are a learning period for both mother and baby. Having the right support can make the establishment of breastfeeding go far more smoothly. On this page we have collated lots of different types of support that you might find helpful.
The following organisations provide breastfeeding support
Courses to help get breastfeeding off the right start:
A lactation consultant (IBCLC) helps resolve breastfeeding or lactation problems, teach the art of breastfeeding, assist mothers to develop and improve their mothering skills and provide an ongoing support system for them both. For lactation consultant services visit our lactation services page.
The following Australian and International Links are for the peak breastfeeding associations:
- Australian Breastfeeding Association The Australian Breastfeeding Association (formerly Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia) is a large community-based self-help group recognised as a leading authority on breastfeeding management. The Association provides innovative counselling and support services to the community and health sector throughout Australia. You will find a wealth of information for both breastfeeding women and for health professionals and others who are involved in supporting and promoting breastfeeding on their web site.
- College of Lactation Consultants Victoria Aims to protect, encourage and promote breastfeeding, support and encourage Lactation Consultants, and to foster lactation education for health professionals.
- Association of Breastfeeding Mothers The Association of Breastfeeding Mothers was founded in 1980 by a group of mothers who felt that there was a need for another breastfeeding organization. They are a charity run by mothers for mothers committed to giving friendly support and supplying the right information to all women whishing to breastfeed.
- Baby Milk Action Baby Milk Action is a non-profit organisation which aims to save lives and to end the avoidable suffering caused by inappropriate infant feeding. Baby Milk Action works within a global network to strengthen independent, transparent and effective controls on the marketing of the baby feeding industry.
- Breastfeeding.com This site provides extensive information on Breastfeeding issues. You can visit the breastfeeding answer centre, subscribe to a digital newsletter and lots more.
- International Lactation Consultant Association The International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA) promotes the professional development, advancement, and recognition of lactation consultants worldwide for the benefit of breastfeeding women, infants and children.
- Lactation Consultants of Australia and New Zealand Ltd (LCANZ) LCANZ is the professional organisation for International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC), health professionals and members of the public who have an interest in lactation and breastfeeding.
- La Leche League International La Leche League International provides worldwide support, encouragement and mother-to-mother support for breastfeeding. They provide extensive education and information on Breastfeeding.