Can you take medication while you are Breastfeeding?
Well I was not really able to breastfeed with my first son, but I was always wondering if you can take Tylenol or any kind of medication while you are breastfeeding? I know that sometimes you may get a headache or backaches, so I was just trying to see how this would fit into breastfeeding. I am hoping that I never have to take anything while I am trying to breastfeed, but sometimes I never know. Thank you in advance for your help.
Medication and Breastfeeding resources
Some medications are okay during breastfeeding and some are not. I agree with mom2many that try to take the natural route before resorting to medication (whether breastfeeding or not). There are some telephone Helplines that can provide information on medication and breastfeeding. Here are their contact details:
- Medicines Line consumer information service; phone 1300 MEDICINE (1300 633 424).
- New South Wales: Mothersafe, Royal Hospital for Womenís Medications in Pregnancy and Lactation Service; phone (02) 9382 6539 (Sydney) or 1800 647 848 (toll free, outside Sydney).
- Northern Territory: Alcohol and Drug Information Services (ADIS);phone 1800 131 350 (toll free).
- South Australia: Womenís and Childrenís Hospitalís Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation Information Service; phone (08) 8161 7222.
- Victoria: Monash Medical Centre, Drug Information Centre; phone (03) 9594 2361.
- Western Australia: King Edward Memorial Hospital for Womenís Obstetric Drug Information Service; phone (08) 9340 2723.