The last time I was at the salon for some foot pampering, I was reading a magazine.And...
I have read a 1 paragraph article from a magazine, if you are trying to get pregnant you need to avoid shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish, because they have a high levels of mercury. It just said that mercury can harm the developing nervous system of a fetus. I know of mercury, as the liquid metal inside the old-fashioned thermometer, and it is harmful to the health when exposed or ingested.
Let's say you are in a restaurant, how can you say that you have an enough amount of mercury when you are eating seafood (with high-level of mercury)? And how can mercury be harmful to pregnant women?Please explain.
Thank in advance.
It is best to avoid high mercury selections like swordfish, shark, lobster and King Mackrel when eating during pregnancy. When these foods are eaten in excess, the mercury can cross the placenta and affect the baby's neurological development. Many cite an increase in mercury, which is a neurotoxin, in our environment and foods as the cause for the current autism epidemic.
Safer seafood alternatives include shrimp and crab. Tuna can also be eaten in small portions because the amount of mercury is relatively small. If you have already eaten one of the foods on the high list, do not fret, there is a good chance that everything is fine. Just resolve to avoid those foods from here forward.
If you're avoiding the high mercury foods at home, it probably won't be a problem to have one serving at a restaurant during your pregnancy. Here's a good article on this site called "Eating Fish During Pregnancy".
I'd also highly recommend that you avoid high mercury food while you are breast feeding (because, again, the mercury will enter your baby from your milk), AND for 4 months before you try to conceive. What you put into your body for the 4 months before conception affects the quality of your eggs and your husband's sperm. The quality of the egg and sperm determine to a great degree, the health of the child.
And if you truly want to avoid high mercury fish at a restaurant, just avoid eating fish altogether when you eat out. Choose something else for your protein.
Thanks for the informative responses.