Hybrid View

Tourette's Syndrome and ADHD

I have a nine year old son who has been diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome. He has some issues with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), as a result of the Tourette's Syndrome. I would like to know, if there are any other mums out there who have found any kinds of methods for dealing with ADHD on a regular basis. Are there any helpful tips or hints that would help me re-direct his focus, or help him to stay calmer? I would appreciate any responses on this, but I understand that there may not be a lot of mums who can help me in this area. Thank you so much for your time!

Emily

Here's another thread where we discuss how to cure ADHD naturally.

I also think that putting your 9 year old on a super healthy, highly raw diet would be helpful, or taking him to an acupuncturist who can create custom blends of herbs. Usually Traditional Chinese Medicine incorporates a mostly cooked diet because cooked foods are easier to digest. However, there is a trade off in that cooked foods have less nutrition than raw foods.

You may want to try giving your son a green smoothie at least once a day. Here's a page that lists all the posts on this forum where we have shared green smoothie recipes and videos.

Warm Regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 23rd September 2012 at 08:26 AM.

Hi Emily,

I have worked with children who have ADHD in the past.

One thing I would advise is to keep a food and behaviour diary for your son over a one month period. Is this something you have tried before? For each day try to keep a note of the food and drink he consumes and note his main behaviour for that day and any unusual behaviour. At the end of the month look to see if any trends occur. Certain food (including those which are high in sugar or caffeine) have been found to worsen the hyperactivity.

Your son will also benefit from plenty of energetic sporting activities. Are there any sports he particularly enjoys at the moment? As well as helping to use up some of that energy, playing sports can increase social skills (and team-work) which children with ADHD can struggle with. Some children benefit from social skill training or behavioural therapy. Local support groups can also help with this.

Best wishes,

LJ

Many children with ADHD have a sensitivity to food coloring (which you'll find in Jello and many packaged foods). I'd encourage you to do as LJ suggested and keep a food and behavior diary for at least a week (a month would be even better).

Some of my children have sensitivities that result in headaches, diarrhea, vomiting and rashes. I've learned to immediately question what they have eaten during the day and it usually gives me a clue as to what the culprit was that caused the reaction.

Kate

Yes it is amazing the effect (both positive and negative) food can have on our bodies and minds.

LJ