Hybrid View

Chromosome Analysis

Hi,

Our first baby was born with Cleft lip & palate. Should me and my husband take any test before next pregnancy. So we could avoid such situation. If yes, what test should be taken?

Hi ibrualfi,

A useful resource on cleft lip and palate is the Victorian Government Department of Health service. This explains that the overall cause of a baby developing a cleft lip and palate in the womb is currently unknown. Genetic factors are only believed to have an effect in a small percentage of cases. Even if you or your husband were born with a cleft lip and palate then there would only be a small chance of passing this condition on.

I think it has to be your and your husband's decision but your doctor should help to talk through the options with you and support you. Remember that there's nothing that you did during the pregnancy that would have caused the cleft lip and palate.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thank you LJ

Hello ibrualfi,

I had a baby that was born with a congenital defect and what I've learned is that it's really important to do all you can to help ensure a healthy egg and sperm before conception. There's an excellent article on this site that explains some things you and your husband can do during the 3 to 4 months before you start trying for your next baby. Having great preconception care can greatly increase your odds of conceiving a truly healthy baby and carrying to term.

After my 3rd baby was born with the congenital heart defect, I went on to give birth to two more healthy children who didn't have any congenital defects.

They told me my chances of having another child with the same defect would be slightly higher than the average woman, but with excellent preconception care, I think your odds of having another child with a cleft palate would be less than the average woman.

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that you should act as if you're already pregnant. If you wouldn't be around paint fumes during pregnancy, don't be around them during the preconception phase. If you wouldn't drink alcohol during pregnancy, don't do it before pregnancy.

I hope you find this information helpful and please let me know if you have any questions about what you should or should not be eating or doing during the few months leading up to conception.

Warm Regards,

Kate