Thread: The dummy

The dummy

My 19 month old still takes a dummy at night. Is this going on too long? I don't want her teeth to be affected.

Hi c_northern,

The longer a child uses a dummy, the more chance of damage to teeth.

Aside from that, I would work to try to move her from dependence upon the dummy now, before the new baby arrives, so that she won't have to go through that "separation anxiety" after baby arrives when she will be adjusting to a lot of new things.

It sounds like your daughter only takes the dummy at night, so you may want to start with a good bedtime routine.

This might include bath, then dressing for bed, then brushing teeth and then story time, cuddled in your lap. If you find that your daughter won't go to sleep without the dummy, then you may want to lay down next to her to see if that will comfort her. If she cries, then let her know that you will leave the room if she cries, but if she wants you to stay, then she will need to stop crying.

The dummy will not be an option - it will just be mum will hold you and cuddle you if you don't cry. I'm guessing this will be enough for your daughter, as she may like having you next to her.

She will eventually go to sleep, and then you can get up. But she may wake up in the middle of the night, and again, you'll need to go to her to calm her. It may actually help to have her in your bed (the family bed) while you're making this transition off the dummy.

Once she has transitioned off the dummy, and doesn't ask for it anymore, then you'll need to transition her out of your bed, or transition from you laying down with her, to you no longer laying down with her.

This can be done in a variety of ways and I'm happy to give suggestions if you'd like.

It may take a few months to do this, but it will be worth it to make the time investment now, before the new baby arrives. We want your 19 month old daughter to feel very secure when baby arrives.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I think we have a good handle on the transition from our bed as we've already had to do that once! :-) thanks for the advice.

We had a family bed with all of our children and transitioned naps first (if your 19 month old takes a dummy for naps, this might be the perfect time to transition her away from using it, if you lay down with her to take a nap - which you may need, being 12 weeks pregnant).

Warm Regards,

Kate