Fertility Window

Do women have different length of fertility window? What is the average duration of the fertile window? Is it possible to have a longer fertility period than others?

Hi Venus,

There was an interesting study by Fehring and Schneider in 2008 which looked at the Variability in the hormonally estimated fertile phase of the menstrual cycle. This showed that the fertile window length can vary. On average it is 3 days long but it can be from 1-7 days long.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi Venus,

I've found that many women experience differing fertile window lengths according to their age.

When I was in my 20's, my fertile window was 5 days, like clockwork. As I entered my late 30's and early 40's, my fertile window became much shorter, sometimes even just one day.

I have a friend who conceived when she was 40, and she only had a fertile window of 2 days.

This is why it's so very important to know your body well and be able to read your personal signs of fertility so that you'll be able to achieve or avoid pregnancy naturally.

Warm Regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 7th October 2012 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks a lot, LJ and Kate! You two sure are the experts here! I am so glad that you always have answers to questions which new mums like me have. I will be glad to read more about signs of fertility during my free time. ^^

So glad it was helpful Venus

Please do let us know if you have any other questions about fertility.

Best wishes,

LJ