Administrator

Induction of Labour Third Time Around

Bianca emailed me the following question:
    Just wondering if i have been induce twice before is it likely that i will need to be induced my third time round?
    My first (5days overdue ) induction was with the drip and my second (10days overdue) i only needed to have my water broken.

Do you think that Bianca will need to be induced third time around?

My thoughts - Bianca normal pregnancy is 37 to 42 weeks. Women who go past their due date in one pregnancy are more likely to go past their due date in a subsequent pregnancy. However you can go into labour at any point without the need of an induction of labour. Research doesn't support induction of labour at 5 days after your due date unless there has been other medical issues. Your body will go into labour naturally if given enough time. Women are usually offered an induction of labour around 10 days after their due date. You have to weigh up the benefits versus the risk of induction of labour and the benefits and risks for waiting for labour to start naturally - before making a decision. If you went into labour after having your waters broken with your second baby - you were most likely very close to going into labour yourself.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thank you :)

This pregnancy i am suffering from severe pubic symphysis, the obstetrician said i may need to be induced early if the pain gets worse, which it is the further along i get.

With my first i had an ovarian cyst bigger then a grapefruit removed at 17wks pregnant and found the recovery very hard. Thus the earlier induction and with my daughter i found the labour a lot easier.. so fingers crossed this time my body will just do it spontaneously.

Having been induced both times before i really wanted to go naturally so thank you for reassuring me that it is possible. Hopefully they will let me hold off till it happens

Administrator
    Let you obstetrician know what you want regarding induction of labour. Unless there is a problem with the baby there is no need to have an early induction of labour.

I am sorry to hear you have pubic symphysis. This is an issue I know a lot about both as a midwife and having experienced it personally in my last two pregnancies (it was the worst in the last pregnancy). What treatment have you been receiving for pubic symphysis?
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content