Thread: infection???

infection???

I think I may be experienceing a yeast infection. Is this normal during pregnancy? Is it a must to get a prescription or is there something safe to use during pregnancy that's over the counter?

There are many natural things you can do to help resolve a yeast infection.

1. Eat more fiber like raw vegetables.
    2. Eat more healthy fats like avocados, fish (cod liver oil) and flax seed (or flax oil)l.
    3. Eat plenty of high quality protein like green leafy vegetables, eggs, fish, chicken and beef.
    4. Greatly reduce or eliminate carbohydrates (especially simple carbohydrates like white flour, white sugar, white potatoes).
    5. Greatly reduce or eliminate fruit. Yeast feeds on sugar, so fruit, fruit juices and all sugars will feed yeast (not a good thing). Once your yeast infection is gone, you'll want to stay on this type of a diet for awhile.
    6. Start taking a high quality probiotic like acidophilus, bifidus, salivarius, etc. A probiotic will help to reestablish healthy vaginal flora.
    7. Dip a tampon into freshly opened, plain organic yogurt (no sugar, no thickeners, just milk and probiotics), then insert it into your vagina for 10 minutes, twice a day. This can help balance the vagina with healthy bacteria, which reduces yeast.
    8. Boost your immune system. Be sure you're taking a high quality prenatal vitamin supplement, eating a healthy diet low in sugar, getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night (preferably going to bed before 10PM) and limiting your stress. When your 19 month old takes a nap, you should try to take at least a short 20 minute power nap too.

If you find that these things are not resolving your yeast infection fast enough, then be sure to talk to your health practitioner about the possibility of using an over-the-counter fungal or prescription. I'm not sure what you can and cannot use during pregnancy, as I never had a yeast infection during pregnancy.

Oil of Oregano is an antifungal which can be taken in capsule form. I've also had good experience using Caprylic Acid (in tablet form). Garlic is another anit-fungal.

If you have a practitioner who specializes in holistic medicine (i.e. a naturopath or a midwife who is familiar with treating naturally) I would definitely talk to that person right away to see what they suggest.

I hope this gives you some ideas and take care to eliminate yeast producing foods from your diet for the rest of your pregnancy. It's always a good idea to eliminate or greatly reduce sugar because babies can put a lot of weight on when mum eats sugar, which can cause complications at delivery.

And then try to limit your simple carbs after the birth of your baby to reduce the chance of baby getting thrush and transferring it to your breasts when you breastfeed.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Oh my this was so helpful! I eat lots of fruit so that'll be a challenge but I'll try anything! Thanks.

So glad you found the information helpful

Drink plenty of water instead of fruit juice, and if you really need something to make the water have some taste, you can add a little fruit juice, but just to flavor, not to give a sweet taste.

Stevia is an herbal sweetener that is easy to find in health food stores and even in the health section of grocery stores. It is very sweet, and a little goes a long way, but you can make a tasty lemonade by squeezing some fresh lemon juice into a glass of water and adding stevia. The stevia will not increase blood sugar levels or feed yeast Lemon is excellent to take on a daily basis. If you take too much, it can detox you, and you don't want to detox much while pregnant (a little is okay, a lot may be too much to dump into your blood stream for baby) but squeezing 1/2 lemon into a glass of water once or twice a day is great.

I'd eliminate the fruit and fruit juices this week, along with all sugar and as much white flour products as possible and see what difference it makes for you. Definitely add in the probiotics and eat at least one, preferably two, big green salads a day. If you do just these 5 things (no fruit, no sugar, no flour, eat salads, add probiotics) I think you'll see a big difference. Definitely get those probiotics today. You can get them in capsule form and they are usually in the refrigerator so you may have to ask for them if you don't see them, or look in the refrigerators in the health section of the store.

Probiotics also help with digestion and this is something you can continue on a daily basis indefinitely. Once the infection is gone you could also eat some plain (no fruit or sugar) yogurt every day to help keep things balanced. Probiotics are really good for you!

I'd like you to post back in 3 or 4 days to let me know if symptoms are subsiding, staying the same or getting worse.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I'm definitely going to try some of these tips!