Hybrid View

Still wanting more after recommended serving of baby food

My 5 month old has started solids. Her pediatrician recommended 2-3 teaspoon serving of baby food, twice a day. Halley eats that up so quickly and acts like she wants more! She drinks 8 ounces of expressed breastmilk every 4 hours (during the day) and now the baby food, too. She is reaching all of the developmental milestones early and is very big for her age. Do you suggest I go ahead and give her more? I don't want her to be hungry and surely there is no blanket amount that is acceptable for all 5 month old babies. Also - she reaches for whatever we are eating and will put try to put it in her mouth.

It actually sounds like Halley may be developmentally ready for more solids. There is an excellent book called Baby Led Weaning and I would highly recommend that you pick up a copy and read it.

It teaches you how to take your baby's cues and exactly what and how to introduce solids in a way that your baby is telling you she needs them.

Typically this happens around 6 months of age, but can be a little earlier or a lot later, just depending upon your baby's needs and development.

Breastmilk is definitely going to be her biggest source of nutrition until she is 1 year old, but if she's grabbing for the food in your hand now, she likely is ready to start exploring new tastes and textures.

Here's a video from a mum who is practicing baby led weaning with her 5 month old. Enjoy!

Hi Halleysmommy,

I'm not sure if you saw my response to your question, but I'm wondering how the feeding of solids is going. What do you think of the video I posted for you?

Warm Regards,

Kate