Thread: Light Period

Administrator

Light Period

I get a lot of questions asked through the website www.pregnancy.com.au - this questions was posted by jolynn:
    I have been experiencing pregnancy symptoms, fatigue,fuller breasts,nausea,back pain, stomach cramping, headaches, I had my period on the 18th of November, it started out light pink, then brown, and the next day it was red, it only lasted four days, it usually lasts about 7 days, but I'm still experiencing the symptoms, can I be pregnant?

What is your experience? Did you experience a light period and subsequently found out you are pregnant.

It is certainly my experience that anything is possible. Women report having what they consider is a light period and subsequently find out that they are pregnant. It could be implantation bleeding. If pregnancy symptoms are present - the easiest way to find out is by doing a home pregnancy test.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Administrator

Unusual period

Here is another question I received on light periods:
    My last period started on September 30th 2011, I was having pregnancy like symptoms including sore nipples, nausea, headaches, low back pain, and constipation. I took several home tests that came out negative. I had bleeding on November 24th in the morning, it was bright red and medium flow. I assumed that I had just started my period. However through out the day my flow became lighter, then then this morning there was nothing. My normal periods last 4 to five days, I normally have medium to heavy bleeding the first three days, then a day off, then a have medium to light bleeding again for one day. I guess I am basically wondering if there is a possibility of me still being pregnant since I am still having the nausea, sensitivity to my nipples, and low back pain. Or is my period just off because I went 55 days between cycles?

Sometimes because of hormonal changes - periods can be unusual - particularly if you have a long or short menstrual cycle. However it is also possible to be pregnant with similar symptoms. If a pregnancy test is negative and you think that their is a possibility of being pregnant - repeat the pregnancy test 5 to 7 days after the last test (this gives pregnancy hormones time to rise).
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

The only thing that is a big problem would be pregnancy. If this is a possibility, do a pregnancy test. If that's negative, don't worry too much about it.