How quickly after birth can you move

Hi,

I am wondering how can the mum move after a natural birth. I am thinking of giving birth in hospital (I would like to give birth at home, but so far I don't see this possible), but if everything is ok I don't want to spend time in hospital, and I want to know after how many hours will I be able to take the baby and come home. This is not a disease, so I don't see the reason to spend much time in hospital, and I don't have insurance, so everything will cost, and I want to reduce it as much as possible. Apart from that, I want my baby to stay with me after birth, not alone in another room; after all for 9 months he has been sleeping on the sound of my heartbeats .

Thank you,
    Anna

Hi Anna,

First of all, I'd like to ask what you feel is keeping you from having a home birth. If you don't have insurance, you will likely have to pay, one way or another, and most of the time having a home birth with a midwife in attendance is a way less expensive option.

If you're not able to find a midwife I'll offer ideas on how to do this. If your husband isn't supportive then we can discuss that. If you are not confident in a home birth then we can talk about that too. Would love to know more about why you feel it may not be possible to give birth at home.

When are you due?

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Anna,

I would second what Kate says and consider if you would like a homebirth.

I had my second son in hospital just over two weeks ago (although the majority of my labour was at home with the support of my husband and my doula). In the hospital we went to the babies all stay with their mums and sleep in a crib by their mum. We went home the same day that we had the baby. However, I appreciate different hospitals have different procedures.

You could also consider a midwife led birth centre if there is one close to you.

Best wishes,

LJ

Most modern hospitals will offer you a rooming-in option. With my last hospital birth, the baby never left my side. I was up walking with her about twenty minutes after her birth, but I had a very uncomplicated and easy labour.

I have signed myself out within twelve hours, which I felt was plenty of time to determine if myself baby were OK for travel, but this may be difficult for you to do depending on the hospital/staff. I was unfortunately still charged the same amount as if I had stayed, something to bear in mind since financing seems to be of issue.

I urge you, as the others have said, to consider a home or birthing center birth. Less expensive, far calmer, and you are totally in charge.