Could ovarian cyst history on my mum's side be the culprit in not getting pregnant?

Hello once again!

I would like to know the reason why I haven't been able to get pregnant for three years now since I have been married for three years already.
    What is most likely be the cause?
    I am 24 years old and I haven't tried to use OTC pills before.
    However, my mother has a history of Ovarian cysts both in her right and left ovaries.
    Will these have an effect with the problem I am having now?
    Is ovarian cyst hereditary?

Thank you.
    Last edited by brendamayc; 20th October 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Hello Brenda,

There can literally be hundreds of reasons why a woman can't conceive, so the first thing I'd like to do is try to narrow down the cause and once we know the cause, then we can address that specifically. It's actually not as hard as it may sound, so let's get started.

You mentioned that your mum has a history of Ovarian Cysts. Ovarian cysts can actually make it much harder or impossible for a follicle to to rupture through the ovary, releasing an egg. One of the biggest causes of ovarian cysts is something called PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. I'm going to ask you a few questions to see if we can rule that out altogether or if it's something that you should look into further.

You mentioned that your cycles are regular. Please post the dates of your last 4 cycles.

Are you overweight, and if so, do you primarily carry that weight in your tummy area?
    Do you have any acne on your face or back?
    Do you have any hair growth on your face, like your upper lip or chin?

You mentioned that you've never used hormonal birth control, like the Pill, and I just want to confirm this.

Please post back with answers to my questions. I will move on to your other questions now.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hello Miss Kate!

Thank you very much with the prompt response.
    These were the dates of my last 4 cycles:
    - July 18, 2012
    - August 17, 2012
    - September 19, 2012
    - October 17, 2012

With regards to my weight, I have normal BMI. I am 5'2'' in height and 53 kilograms in weight. But yes, I do have a certain amount of fats built up on my tummy area, so my waist circumference is 31 inches.
    I have pimples or break-outs in my face area when I have my cycles, and when I stay up all night for some work.
    I don't have hair growth on my upper lip or chin area.
    I have never used hormonal birth control pill.

Once again, thank you Miss Kate for your time.

Sincerely,

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

It looks like your cycle lengths are good. Do you know when you ovulated during each of the past 3 or 4 months? If you can tell me this date, then I can ask more questions and try to narrow this down a little more for you.

Do you know how to watch your personal signs of fertility? If so, can you tell me what your cervical mucus pattern is like during the 5 days leading up to ovulation?

Warm Regards,

Kate