6 month old doesn't enjoy solids

My 6 month old daughter hates eating solids. Should I force her or do I just wait for a couple of months and try again?

Hi Maria,

My babies weren't interested in solids until they were at least 8 months old. I even had one that wasn't interested until she was one.

I would not be concerned because she will get all the nutrition she needs from breast milk or formula until she is one year old. Food should be fun for her (even like play) until she is one, at which time the milk will still be a large part of her diet, and then will gradually taper off until she is getting the bulk of her nutrition from solids.

There is an excellent book called "Baby Led Weaning" and we have discussed this a lot in the forums. Here's a great video showing you how Baby Led Weaning works. This baby is 6 months old.

Enjoy!

Kate

Thanks Kate!

I agree with Kate, only one of my four was interested in solids that early. During the first year of life, food is more for practice than actual nutrition. Your baby should get everything they need nutritionally speaking from breastmilk or formula. The addition of food is fine, but it is not anything to stress about. Your little one may not be developmentally ready for solids and pushing them on her will do little good for anyone.

-Angela

Hi Angela! It's such a relief knowing that it's nothing to stress about. Thanks