Thread: Working Mum

Working Mum

My husband is the one most of the time taking care of baby especially if he has nothing else important to do. Though I'm working at home, I have less time carrying my baby except during feeding time. Will this result into something disadvantage on both mum and bub?

Thanks!

Hello seanntori,

One of the biggest advantages of breastfeeding is that it ensures you will have skin to skin and cuddle time with your baby throughout the day.

Being that your husband cares for your little one when you're not feeding, it may mean he is spending more time with her. In order to be sure you are spending as much time as you can with your baby, be sure to pick her up to breastfeed every 2 hours or so. Don't use a dummy to try to get her to "last" longer. Right now you want to increase your breastmilk supply because she's been off the breast for 2 weeks, so I'd encourage you to put the dummy away and put the bottles in an inconvenient storage area so that you're not tempted to use them.

Every time baby shows signs of being hungry, or every time she cries, stop what you're doing and put her to the breast. Move away from the computer and sit on the couch or lay down on the bed and feed her. Turn off the TV and reduce distractions. This will give help ensure that you have some good eye to eye contact with her while she's feeding and that she stays at the breast for a good, full, feed, rather than pulling off to look around, which happens more and more as they get bigger.

While you're feeding her, you can sing to her, or play with her

Here's a little video that shows a 6 month old baby breastfeeding while looking at mum. Notice how happy this baby is and listen to what mum is doing to interact with her. Having feeding times like this increases the bond between mum and baby.

If you want to be sure that your bond with your baby will be very strong, then you'll need to take as much time as possible to interact with her. This doesn't mean having her in the same room with you while you're working and focused on other things. It means interacting with her and focusing on her, even if it's for just 15 minutes every couple of hours.

Co-sleeping can also help with bonding. If your baby sleeps with you, she will wake up to feed every couple of hours or maybe go for longer stretches at night, as she gets older. The skin to skin contact at night will also instill a security in your daughter. I wholeheartedly recommend co-sleeping as long as you don't smoke or drink.

Let me know if you need any other ideas on how to bond with your daughter, or if you have any other concerns or questions about bonding.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thank you so much Kate, will definitely take your advise with regards to bonding and interacting with my baby.