Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

Hello! i would like to ask what are the causes and how to prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)?

Thanks!

SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) or SUDI (sudden unexpected death in infancy) has no definitive cause. However, studies have shown that certain things can lessen the likelihood of SIDS occurring.

- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of cot death by up to 70%.

- Co-Sleeping may lessen a baby's susceptibility to some forms of SIDS (My lactation consultant told me that babies pattern their breathing after mum, when co-sleeping, so we had a family bed with all of our children.)

- Controlled crying can pose a potential risk of SIDS in vulnerable infants.

- Vaccines can contribute to SIDS. Years god, when when there were few vaccines, there were also few cases of SIDS. As vaccine protocols became more rigorous, the number if SIDS cases increased in proportion.

Here's a wonderful forum dedicated just to vaccination information, and I would encourage you to learn how to choose the vaccines that are best for your child and your family. Each family is unique and one vaccine may be a good choice for one family, and a bad choice for others. Many parents don't feel empowered to selectively vaccinate their children or to refuse vaccination altogether if they believe that the potential harm done from vaccination would be worse than the potential disease or affects of disease.

Did you find this information helpful?

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thank you for this helpful ideas and information. God Bless!

Hi Kate,

Is there a particular age that babies are more susceptible to SIDS?

Thanks

Tina

Most cases of SIDS occur between 2 to 4 months of age. I see a large correlation between vaccines at such a young age, and SIDS. I would encourage you to look at each vaccine, individually, and decide when/if your child needs it. If it's something you can delay until your child is older, their immune system will be stronger which will reduce the risk of SIDS.

I would encourage you to take a look around our vaccination forum for more really good information.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thanks for this

jersey1210

I second what Kate has state above. I think the evidence strongly suggests that the use of certain vaccinations and formula rather than breastmilk are probably the biggest culprits in SIDS.

Its a difficult one because often there are no answers to what causes SIDS.
    However some factors have a high index of suspician:

1: Cigarette smoke - even via clothing contact with a smoker
    2: Mattresses - old decaying mattresses give off fumes
    3: Tummy sleeping
    4: Respiratory infections

My personal view is that breast feeding and co-sleeping are better for a baby and I would always (in any situation) recommend that a baby has been checked over by an osteopath to ensure their breathing function mechanically is at its optimum.

However if you are concerned about your baby's health talk it through with your GP.