Hybrid View

Long, Difficult Transition

I am currently pregnant with my 4th. All my previous labors and births have been the same. From the moment I'm 8 cm dialated to the moment the baby is born takes 2 hours! I've had natural births for #2 and #3, but those last 2 hours are excruciating. Is there anything I can do to make that long transition shorter? Anything I can do to help cope with the intense and painful last 2 hours? I'm seriously considering pain meds this time around if I have to go through that again...

Hello Mrs S,

Congratulations on your 4th baby! My 4th and 5th pregnancies were my least painful and fastest from 8cm to birth. There are a number of reasons that I attribute this to.

1. With my last 2 babies, I had water births. As soon as I got in the warm water, in a large birthing tub (larger than my bathtub) my body really relaxed. I was able to labour in positions that felt natural to my body because the birthing pool was large enough for me to move around. The water also helped my perineum to relax which allowed me to avoid an episiotomy and tearing. Some women's labours slow or stop if they get in the water too early, but if labour is well under way, then water can help a woman to relax which helps labour to progress faster.

2. Baby's Position - Before getting in the water with my 5th baby, my midwife had me stand on one leg and put my other leg up on a stool and then lunge into it during contractions. This was helpful in moving baby into better position so that her head was positioned optimally on my cervix which meant dilation progressed faster.

3. With my 5th, I drank a lot of Red Raspberry Leaf Tea during the last month which helped my uterine muscles to be more toned and work more efficiently.

4. I made sure not to recline during my last month, and sat on the edge of my seat in order to help baby not be in a posterior position.

5. With my 4th and 5th pregnancies, I went to a Chiropractor for adjustments which helped baby to be positioned optimally.

The better position baby is in, the faster labour should progress. The more relaxed you are, the faster labour should progress, and the more toned the uterus is, the faster labour should progress.

With baby #5, from the time I got in the birthing pool until I was nearly 10 cm, was just one hour. Baby was born with only 2 pushes.

Does this give you any new ideas?

Warm Regards,

Kate