Fear of giving birth

I'm pregnant for the first time and I'm afraid I won't be able to stand the pain of labour. What can I do to stop worrying and feel more confident about delivering my baby?

I hope you can give me advice on this.
    Thank you.

Hello Lovely Joy! I have had four beautiful children, but I clearly remember my first pregnancy. It is both exciting and frightening, such a wide range of mixed emotions. I think that being afraid of giving birth is pretty common, particularly in modern society where labor is greatly sensationalized.

I highly recommend that you invest in some good childbirth classes. Learn the ins and outs of birth and find out about natural methods for coping with the pain and stress. Guided meditation, position changes, etc. Even if you opt for narcotic pain relief in the hospital, learning the natural process can help to greatly reduce fear and anxiety.

If possible, I'd also consider hiring a doula for support during labor. Best of luck to you! And remember, your body is a well-designed machine, one of its primary functions is to labor and birth effectively. You can do this!

Hello Lovelyjoy,

One of the best things you can do to alleviate fear is to learn all you can about your options. I will be happy to share some things with you and give you ideas on where to find the information you need to know, in order to feel confident about your birth.

It sounds like you're scared about handling the pain. As mom2many mentioned, there are many different ways to relieve/reduce pain during childbirth. As you learn about all of these different things, you'll start to feel more comfortable with the birthing process and you'll know what it is you want and what it is you don't want.

One of the best ways to learn about birth is to start creating your birth plan. Please read this article to learn about designing a birth plan.

Then you can go to this page to learn a lot more about birth plans. There are so many things to think about and these two pages will really help you as you start thinking about your birth.

I'm going to ask a few questions, and then when you respond, I'll be able to give you more help.

1. Do you have any options as to where you will be giving birth? (i.e. in the hospital, in a birthing centre, at home, etc.)

2. Have you decided where you will be giving birth, and if so, what was the deciding factor? Do you feel like you were able to make this decision, or do you feel as if it were made for you?

3. Do you have anyone you really trust that can support you during labour and who can be your advocate? Women who choose to see a midwife for every prenatal appointment will most often have a very close relationship with their midwife and will trust them implicitly to make the best choices for them. However women who labour in the hospital will mostly see the nursing staff during labour and the doctor might be there in time to catch the baby. That makes it really hard to feel confident with the person(s) attending your birth, and this is a situation when you'll really want to make sure that you have a doula or a friend (or partner) whom you trust to make the best decision for you.

Please remind me how far along you are so I know how much time we have to help you feel confident with your birth.

Let's keep this going so I can share as much as possible with you, including videos that will help you to embrace the birth experience and feel confident with bringing your little one into the world.

Warm Regards,

Kate