Thread: Cord Blood

Cord Blood

I have heard about cord blood banking but my research has found that it is quite expensive. As an alternative I have seen others who have waited for the cord to quit pulsing before cutting the cord. What benefit does this offer the baby?

Hi Jessie,

You pose a great question and one we talked a little about in the thread entitled "When to clamp the umbilical cord."

I waited for the cord to stop pulsing with all of my babies though there are times when the cord needs to be cut beforehand (this is why it's so important to trust your midwife or doctor because this is a decision they will make for you and your baby). If you want to wait until the cord stops pulsing then be sure to put that on your birth plan. Sadly I've seen too many women who gave their birth plan to their doctor or to the nurses (because the doctors only come in to catch the baby at the end) and it was somewhat disregarded. I think it's worth the effort to make one but also important to have someone present with you who can be your advocate, while you focus on labour and birth.

Does any of this answer your question? Do you have any other questions about this?

Warm Regards,

Kate

I will review that thread. Thank you!