Kidney stones and pain medication during pregnancy

I was recently diagnosed with kidney stones. Although they are uncomfortable they are not excruciating so I have been advised to take prescription pain medication and wait it out unless the discomfort becomes significantly worse. What is the best way to manage kidney stones while pregnant? Can I assume than the prescription pain medication is safe to take during pregnancy since it was prescribed by my obstetrician?

The best way to manage kidney stones is the easiest, least invasive manner possible. There are no trials to indicate the safety or danger of pain meds, or any other form of medication in pregnant women. No one should remain in pain when it is unnecessary but these pills are also not without risk. Be sure to drink plenty of water and reduce salt intake, to help prevent future kidney stones from developing. As for the pain meds, take them sparingly if need be. If you can get by without them, however, I would recommend that you do just that.

Hi Jessica,

Mom2Many is right in that you really want to take as few meds as possible during pregnancy. So here are some ideas that may help resolve the Kidney Stones naturally that will be perfectly fine for baby too.

1. One of the most effective natural remedies for kidney stones and the pain experienced by them is to mix 2 ounces of olive oil (organic if available) with 2 ounces of lemon juice (organic if available). This is about 1/4 cup of each. Drink it down (using a straw can be very helpful in getting it down) and follow immediately with 12ounces of water (distilled or purified if available).

Wait 30 minutes and then squeeze 1/2 of a lemon into 12 ounces of water (distilled or purified) and add 1 Tblsp. of apple cider vinegar (raw if available). Drink this down.

Repeat the lemon juice, water and apple cider vinegar every hour until the pain/symptoms improve.

Some studies have shown that people with recurrent kidney stones had a 92% improvement rate in reducing these stones when they took 300 mg. of magnesium orotate (a magnesium supplement). Taking this daily is recommended for prevention and reduction of stones. Magnesium is also really good for helping you to relax and can benefit breastfeeding.

Do not use celery seed tea or basil tea while you are pregnant, as these can cause contractions. After the baby arrives, you can try these things.

One thing that I really like to do is figure out what is causing a problem so that I can avoid the cause in the future. The cause of kidney stones is primarily unhealthy food intake. Drinking sodas, energy drinks, and alcoholic beverages can contribute to the formation of kidney stones as can eating processed foods, fast foods, and fried foods.

Focus on cutting those foods completely out of your diet and focusing on eating lots of fruits and vegetables each day. One really easy and tasty way to add fruits and vegetables to your diet is to make a green smoothie each day. Here's a great video showing you how to choose the best foods for your pregnant body.