Hybrid View

time to rush to the hospital

I'm getting nervous as my duedate comes nearer which will be in January 2013. I don't have my own transportation so I'm worried that my water bag will brake in the middle of the night. How much time do I have before the baby comes out? I think I'm gonna panic.

Hi iyah80,

Most women have PLENTY of time to get to the hospital. In fact I usually encourage mums to stay home as long as they possibly can before heading to the hospital because they'll feel more comfortable at home, be able to eat and drink at home (most hospitals only allow ice chips once you arrive) and you'll be able to walk around and labour in whatever position is most comfortable to you. All of this means less pain for you and faster progression (shorter labour).

What you don't want to have happen is you don't want to labour for hours in the hospital if you don't have to. The longer you're there, the more chance of intervention and once they start with interventions it seems that one leads to another which leads to another (not a good thing).

The average length of labour for a woman giving birth to her first baby is 10-12 hours.

With my 1st baby, I had my first contractions at 3PM and by 10PM I was in active labour. I laboured throughout the night and gave birth at 10:21 AM the next morning. So that labour was a total of 19 hours.

With my 2nd baby I went into labour at 11PM and he was born at 9:06 AM the next morning, so that labour was 10 hours.

With my 3rd baby I woke up at 4:30AM with back labour and he was born at 1:30PM, so that was 9 hours of labour.

My 4th and 5th labours were a bit shorter than this (can't remember exactly).

My water did not break before I went into labour with any of my children - in fact I either had to have my bag broken by the midwife, or the bag broke much closer to delivery.

One thing that can be very helpful is to have someone who has given birth before, that you can call and talk to anytime you think labour may be starting. That person could give you a general sense of when it would be good to call your "ride" to the hospital. Again, most women have plenty of time.

Are you taking a childbirth class? The teacher should help you to know what the different stages of labour are and when to know when to go to the hospital.

I can also give you more information on how to know if you're in labour or not. Just let me know anytime you have a question.

You're going to do great!

Warm Regards,

Kate

I would not worry too much about it. Most labors, especially first labors, last for hours if not days. I frequently encourage my doula clients to stay at home until they are ready to push, which is something you will now when you feel it. There are emergency childbirth books that you can read, but in the meantime I recommend you look into safe, natural childbirth and consider taking childbirth classes. Familiarizing yourself with the natural process of birth will help to quell much of your fear and anxiety. There is rarely any reason to rush to the hospital.

Best luck mama!

hi Kate and Mom2Many,

Thanks for the reply. At least now I have an idea.
    My mom isn't around and this is my first time to go into labor so I may need guidelines to know if im on labor or not...

Here is an excellent article that our resident midwife, Jane Palmer, wrote about Labour. She talks about signs of labour, when to go to the hospital, how long labour lasts, the different stages of labour and what you can do to help yourself get through labour.

Here's another page that has links to some articles on preparing for childbirth, signs of labour, and how to start labour naturally.

Feel free to post any questions as you get closer to your due date. I'm guessing that you'll be seeing your midwife or doctor every 2 weeks starting really soon, and you'll be at weekly visits starting mid December.

I always appreciated having someone I could share with as the end of my pregnancy approached. It helped to give me confidence with what was happening with my body.

Warm Regards,

Kate

the question is: when do i start with these exercises? is it ok if i start now at 7m3w?