Question How to wean bubba off breast at night?

I need sleep...quality sleep! I cant do it anymore!

bubz is 14months...

Any gentle suggestions on night time weaning

Do you have a partner or friend who can put bub down for the night? Maybe by rocking to sleep or snuggling? Do you cosleep? If so, I have heard wearing a thick shirt or sweater at night and dressing baby will help, as the baby no longer smells milk or experiencing the skin-to-skin contact that leads to night waking in search of comfort.

We co-sleep but Im trying to get him to sleep in the cot because hubby and I are always pushed to the edge of the bed with our pillows on our bedsides! and bubba happily sleeping stretched out! He doesnt like to sleep cuddled or even close thats why its becoming such an issue for me.
    Hubby can get him down by rocking and he is starting to sleep for part of the night in the cot. Im finding a bit lavender in his bath is helping...I know we will get there eventually but on the day I posted was just öne of those "days" where you feel like if you dont get some quality sleep your world will cave in
    teething doesnt help...I will try the thick top at night

Hi Amarie,

Mom2many had some good suggestions. Another thing you could try would be having bub sleep next to daddy (and the side of the bed) but you would need to have something on the side of the bed so bub wouldn't roll off.

I had this situation at one time after having a new baby, and my husband would comfort my older child and snuggle him (on the other side of the bed) while I cared for the new baby.

If you're able to get baby to sleep in his cot for the first part of the night, but then he wakes and wants to come into your bed, you could try having your husband put him back in his cot. It's kind of a hard one when you're going through the weaning process because there's this balance you have to find between spending too much time awake, trying to get bub to go back to sleep in his own bed, as compared to just leaving him in your bed and latching him on whenever he wakes and wants to eat, while you both fall back to sleep.

I understand being kicked in the ribs because bub had turned sideways, head toward daddy and feet towards me. But in general, I found that my babies weaned when they were ready, and started sleeping in their own cots when they were ready and secure... which seemed to be around 3 years of age.

My husband loved having the babies in bed with us, so he wasn't any help in trying to get them to sleep elsewhere. And we were content to have them start the night out of our bed (so we could have some intimate time without them in the bed with us) but when they woke up, we always welcomed them back in the bed for the rest of the night because we all got more sleep that way.

You can try giving bub some protein before bed, like a scrambled egg, to see if his tummy will stay full longer and if it will help him to sleep for a longer stretch in his own cot at night.

When he's a little older, he will have better communication skills and that may be a better time to move him permanently from your bed. I also found that my children transitioned better when I had them sleep with an older sibling.

And I completely understand how there are some days when you feel like you haven't gotten enough sleep and those days can be really hard. Try to make napping a priority - nap when bub naps. Even a 20 minute power nap in the middle of the day can make a huge difference. Oh - and if you want more energy, reducing sugar and simple carbs can help while increasing your intake of dark green leafy vegetables, like kale, spinach and chard.

Here's a video that will help you understand the benefits of getting more greens in your body. You can blend them into a smoothie or you can juice them (I go through periods of juicing only and periods of blending only - but I've found that I have more energy when I juice as compared to drinking smoothies).

Hope this helps. Babies love green smoothies too, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with how much your little guy likes to drink his greens

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thank you for all the info Kate.

He has been starting the night off in his cot lately which is sooooo good and I know eventually he will work it out (number two did and he was soo attached) ...but it was "one of those days" when I wrote the post so much so I told my husband if he was fond of baby breastfeeding then he should do it! ha...the things you say when sleep deprived

LOL - you are SO right. The things we say when we are sleep deprived! I always feel better in the morning, so if I find myself thinking "I can't do this anymore" and it's the end of the day, I know I'll feel quite different in the morning... and I always do

Kate

Hi Amarie,

Have you read The No Cry Sleep Solution? There are some excellent suggestions in there for weaning a co-sleeping toddler off night breastfeeding. It really helped us.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thanks LJ, I will have to check out The No Cry Sleep Solution.