Hybrid View

friend has postnatal depression?

Hi! A former co-worker who gave birth last month seems to be suffering from postnatal depression. She's always sad and resents her baby for ruining her life. What can I do to help? I'm scared that she might hurt her baby.

Postnatal depression can be very hard for some mums, as I'm sure you've noticed. You may want to offer to care for the baby when you can, or do laundry, or make meals. You could also take her a meal periodically. Sometimes a lack of sleep can wreak havoc on emotions, so if you could even help her to get a nap in the middle of the day that might help her.

Encourage her to eat well. Take her some fresh produce so she doesn't have to go to the store. Offer to go for a walk with her if she just wants to talk (exercise is good for new mums). Organize help for her from others in the church.

It's super important that she gets enough rest, and if she is breastfeeding, she may find that having baby in bed with her helps her to get more rest at night - when baby awakens, just offer the breast, and both of you go back to sleep. Babies who are breastfed don't need to be burped at night - if they roll onto their back when they are asleep and done eating, they will be fine. I had all of my babies in bed with me and it really helped me to get the rest I needed. Also, napping during the day, when baby naps is important - more important than chores.

Eating properly is super important because postnatal depression is a chemical imbalance that can be corrected with supplements (i.e. Inositol which is one of the B vitamins). She should be sure she is taking a multi-vitamin, especially if she is breastfeeding.

I hope this gives you some ideas that your friend will find helpful.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate!

I really appreciate all the ideas you've given me on how I can help her. I don't feel so helpless anymore. God bless you!