Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    New Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4

    I been told to terminate, but i still have bubbles pop sensation.

    I have recently been diagnosed with blighted ovum. I had two ultrasound scans done. The first one showed a gestational sac 1.5cm, and yolk sac 0.3cm. No fetal pole or heart beat. Making me 6 weeks. I was told to come back for another scan. The second one was similiar, gest. sac 1.8cm, and yolk sac 0.4cm. No fetal pole or hb. My doctor told me my pregnancy was non viable. I was told to wait two more weeks to miscarriage, otherwise i have to make a decision to have a op. or use meds. I can still feel bubbles poping sensation. This will be my third pregnancy, during my second pregnancy, i was able to feel the baby very early too, same sensation. I have ask my doctor to do blood tests, but she said they're inaccurate and there was no point doing the tests. I feel like i have been misdiagnosed, i dont want to terminate, as i have doubts. I have PCOs so my period is very irregular, and i not sure of my last period. I want to ask for another ultrasound, but my doctor already told me it was over. I dont think i will be able to let go, if i dont get another scan done, or more test. I just want to be sure? Has this ever happen to anyone? I dont know what to do. I have a tilted uterus and read that sometimes they wont be able to see the fetus untill 10 weeks. I want a second opinon, but i know how doctors are, as soon as i show them my previous scan, they will not give me a chance. Please help me.

  2. #2
    New Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4
    I think I have been diagnosed too early. Can anyone tell me according to the results from the two scans, is it enough for me to terminate my pregnancy? And the bubble popping sensation, is it the fetus?

  3. #3
    Administrator
    aussiemidwife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    427
    How long was it between your two ultrasounds? If it was a short time you'd expect them to be similar as the baby wouldn't have been give a lot of time to develop. If your heart is saying it's too early and you'd like a second opinion then that is a reasonable thing to do. You can also choose to see a private midwife as an alternative to a doctor. In Australia now you can get Medicare rebates for a midwifery visit (if the midwife is Medicare eligible). Another alternative is to just wait and see what happens. If the baby didn't develop - the pregnancy will end naturally at some point (although sometimes it takes up to when the pregnancy is about 13 weeks along).

    I am unsure what the bubble popping sensation you are feeling is. Some women describe to me very early in their pregnancies similar feelings that they believe is the baby.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

  4. #4
    New Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4
    Thankyou for your reply. The scan were done two weeks apart exactly. The sensation feelings, I feel like butterflies in my center lower abdominal. I get them when I lay on my back in bed or when Im sitting down. I had similar feelings with my second child, she is now a healthy 6 year old. I feel like there is something there, and would regret it for the rest of my life if I don't get a chance to do more test and scans to make sure it is really a blighted ovum. The hospital is only giving me two weeks to have a natural miscarriage. I feel fine, no cramps no spotting. It's been a week since my second scan. Can doctors refuse to give me another scan ,based on the two results I already have? I think I was diagnosed too quickly. Can private midwives authorize pregnancy test to be done like doctors do?

  5. #5
    Administrator
    aussiemidwife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    427
    I understand you really want to make sure you are doing the right thing. Yes the doctor can decline to do another scan. But this does not stop you from seeing another doctor or midwife and requesting an ultrasound. Yes you can see a private midwife (who is Medicare eligible) and she can order tests (you just need to make sure before the appointment that she has arrangements in place that enable her to do this).
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

  6. #6
    New Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4
    Thankyou for understanding. I Have decided to wait and see if I mc normally. Otherwise I'm going to see another doctor/private midwife for second opinion.

  7. #7
    How are you mcyaj? Can we have an update? This is such a terrible situation to be in. I am interested to know how you are doing now that it has been a few weeks.

  8. #8
    New Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12
    I know it's been a while since this thread was started, but I wanted to reiterate along with aussiemidwife that although one doctor can refuse to send for more tests, you can always see another doctor or midwife and ask them for re-tests. I think women should always listen to their own body and heart first and if the medical opinion you receive does not sit right with you, always seek a second, a third, a fourth etc opinion...

  9. #9
    I, too, am curious to see how you are doing mcyaj. The very first time I became pregnant I ended up having a blighted ovum. At the time I had never heard of such a thing and I didn't understand how my body could be "acting" pregnant but there was no baby. I was fortunate to have 4 ultrasounds and each time there was absolutely nothing there but my body sure thought there was.

    I had been trying to conceive for a long time and I personally didn't want to wait unil I miscarried naturally (I was 10 weeks along) so I went ahead and terminated but my doctor gave me the choice. That being said, by the time I made the decision to go ahead with it I had already had several ultrasounds and blood tests, so I was 100% sure I was doing the right thing BUT if I had a shred of doubt as you do -- I absolutely would have waited for things to progress naturally. I agree with Kestrel, listening to your body is the most important thing so asking for more tests or seeking a second opinion is a very reasonable thing to do.

    I wish you the best!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •