Hybrid View

How long did you breastfeed?

I was just curious how long other mums breastfed their babies. I breastfed my first for almost three years, my second for nearly two, my third for just a few months, and my fourth is still breastfeeding at the age of one. I hope to make it longer with my fourth than I have previously. I truly believe that extended breastfeeding is beneficial for both the mother and baby. I have learned about the benefits of extended breastfeeding, such as a reduced risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, less ear infections, and a reduced chance of childhood diabetes. I know that situations can occur that make extended breastfeeding difficult, as I only breastfed my third for a few months. However, knowing what I do now, I hope to breastfeed my youngest as long as possible.

How long did you breastfeed? Did you have a goal for how long you would breastfeed?

Administrator
    Hi Jessica - I breastfed my first baby for 15 months. We got off to a rocky start - he was premature, breech and was in special care nursery for 9 days. This really interfered with our start to breastfeeding and Josh (my first baby) self weaned at 15 months (I was not ready at the time). I breastfed my next two children for 3 1/2 years. Both were homebirths and full term babies. We had no problem with our start to breastfeeding this time around. I tandem fed baby's no. 2 and 3 for around one year. I gently encouraged my baby's to wean at the 3 1/2 year mark as I wanted a break from breastfeeding.

It is a little known fact that the World Health Organisation promotes the minimum duration of breastfeeding as 2 years and beyond for the health benefits it offers babies. I'd love to see more extended breastfeeding.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I am currently on month 11 of breastfeeding my youngest baby. I would like to breastfeed her for at least two years. I know several women who are currently pretty close to the three year mark. =)

Hey Jessica I breastfed my son for about 3 months or so. I was going on the birth control pill and it started drying up my milk so I could not do it long term like i wanted to for him, so I had to put him on that similac until he was able to drink regular milk. I was really sad too, because I heard that it helps your baby development a lot more. He is great now, but I still wanted to do the whole long term thing.

Hi Jessica,
    I have breastfed my little one on demand for 12 months and I'm happy to continue for as long as my little boy wants to feed.

Administrator
    Hi Lucky120 - I am surprised your doctor did not offer birth control that you can use with breastfeeding. If you plan another baby have a look into it. There are a number of options you can use. Family planning organisations provide some excellent information.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

i've breastfed for between 6mths & 15mths with my 8 kids. they generally start to wean themselves off at around 10mths. I return to work around 6mths after birth & express for a little while & then go onto formula(only while at daycare). I have always been sure to b/feed first thing inthe morning & last feed before bed. It's my "bonding" time with them. My lastest bub, 11mths, weaned himself off the boob about 3weeks ago. I'm devestated