Hybrid View

Placenta Encapsulation

Have any of you tried placenta encapsulation? Do you think you would try it with future pregnancies?

I am a doula offering multiple services to clients, and one of these services is the encapsulation of placenta. In a nutshell, the placenta is boiled, dehydrated, and place in tablets following the birth. The practice is based on Traditional Chinese Medicine. However, eating of the placenta, in one form or another, is a deeply rooted tradition in many cultures.

The consumption of placenta, dehydrated or raw, is believed to replenish the body of valuable hormones and iron lost during the process of labour and delivery. Since it is developed within a woman's body it is packed with specially-formulated essential nutrients created just for her body. It is a great way to fight postpartum depression, dysmorphic milk ejection reflex, and general baby blues naturally and effectively. It can also help to increase and maintain breastmilk supply and quality.

End the end the pills produced through encapsulation look just like any other herbal remedy tablet. There is no strange aftertaste, the product is dry, etc. The mother begins by taking a few a day, sometimes with a glass of wine, and then gradually decreasing the dose. Some women opt to store placenta pills in the freezer for usage during menopause or other blue times. The average placenta will produce around 150 pills.

This is the first time I have heard of Placenta Encapsulation. I would probably try it as it seems to have a lot of positive benefits to it. I know that drinking your own urine offers many of the same types of benefits (hormones, nutrients specific to your body). I have taken drops of urine, but have not actually drunk greater quantities of it.

I've also created my own capsules full of various things, and find it much easier to take in capsule form.

Will be interested in learning more if you every do this.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I recently did a placenta for a client that seemed tiny to me at first, but ended up yielding 208 capsules, a pretty big haul. The mum's mum was there with me and very interested. She actually helped with much of prep. =)

I can't speak highly enough of it!
    I did it with my daughter and felt amazing afterwards while taking them.

I wish I had known about Placenta Encapsulation when I had my babies as I could have used all those extra nutrients after birth.

Kate

I've heard many positives about this and certainly in many cultures it is the norm so why not!
    Hidden Content

Dr Roger Kingston DO
    Osteopath & Cranial Osteopath

Hidden Content

Wow! I will try to do this after my next pregnancy, if I get pregnant again. I just don't know if doctors would allow it or agree to give me the placenta.

Xylumictin,

The easiest way to have access to your placenta is by either giving birth at home, or giving birth in a birthing center with a midwife or doctor.

Home births have a much lower C-Section rate and much lower rate of intervention. Sadly, one one intervention is started, it often leads to another, and another.

Do you know anyone who has had a home birth? I had 5 homebirths, and my last was just a month before my 41st birthday.

I will read your other posts and see if I can give you some insight on how to increase your fertility and ability to carry a healthy baby to term.

Here's part 3 of a video that shows the encapsulation of placenta process.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi,

There is some more information about Placenta Encapsulation at the Independent Placenta Encapsulation Network here. Many doulas offer this as an additional service - this may be something to consider if you are concerned about not having access to your placenta after birth. I would have thought it was your right to have your placenta encapsulated (provided it is healthy) wherever you choose to give birth.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thanks. I will try to find a doula and I'll talk of home birth with my husband. How will I know that my placenta is healthy?

The midwife or doctor will check your placenta after you have given birth. They check it carefully to make sure it is complete.

Best wishes,

LJ