Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you try a waterbirth?

I've been reading the waterbirth stories here http://www.pregnancy.com.au/resource...es/index.shtml and they are inspiring me to consider a waterbirth in the future. I've always de-stressed in the bath so it makes sense to me that it creates a calm and natural (as possible) way to give birth. Is anyone else considering a waterbirth?

Administrator
    I've had two waterbirths myself and found it wonderful. Mind you waterbirth isn't for every woman but I find the majority of women who've had a waterbirth would choose it again for a future birth.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I have heard many wonderful stories about having a waterbirth. I was unable to have one, but I do think it has many benefits and is definitely something worth looking into.

I have heard great stories about a water birth and I would not mind trying it at all. I think that it would be very relaxing. I have seen a few videos on how they do it and everything, but I have never actually decided to do it. I have a few issues with my first baby, so I was not able to even do a water birth. One day I hope to try it.

Most of my babies have been born in water, I found it very relaxing and soothing.

Lucky, if you want your birth to be what you want it to be then you need to get educated and find out all about your options.

Ljmarsden, I wouldn't commit to one or the other before the birth, just go with what feels right at the time. I prepare for a waterbirth, but if I didn't want to get in at the time then that's fine too.

Administrator
    I've put together a lot of information on waterbirth on the main part of the website to help people find out more about this wonderful option. I agree with Happymum keep your options open for the birth - don't commit one way or the other and do what feels right at the time.
    Hidden Content

5 Homebirths - 2 Waterbirths

For my first birth, I didn't even know that a waterbirth was an option. However I did have a homebirth with her, and I laboured in the bathtub for a long time.

Baby #2 - I laboured in the bath tub again, pouring warm water over my belly with each contraction (the "normal" tubs didn't cover my entire belly). But once again, I got out to deliver on the floor.

Baby #3 - I WANTED to labour in the bath, but things progressed so quickly that I never made it there.

Baby #4 - Switched midwives and my new midwife was a huge proponent of water birth. I resisted, and the reason was because I was scared that baby would not be able to breath if it was born into the water. I had my sister-in-law (who is a lay midwife and had attended all of my prior births) accompany me to an appointment with my new midwife, and when the midwife mentioned water birth (again), my sister in law said, "Kate - you are such a water person... you really need to try a water birth." I then mentioned my concern about baby not being able to breath when she was born and the midwife told me that babies won't try to breath until their face hits air. Really? I mean REALLY - my baby's not going to drown, right? RIGHT! I had no idea and was completely relieved to hear this. So I decided to consider it and my midwife sent me home with waterbirth videos to watch. I LOVED them and decided baby #4 would be born in the water.

That birth was the best birth of the four! Fastest, least painful, no tearing (which meant no stitching), and just all around wonderful! Plus the birth pool she provided was HUGE compared to my little bath tub, and I so enjoyed being completely immersed in the warm water. (If your midwife doesn't provide a birth pool, you can purchase one yourself and I highly recommend it - so much nicer than trying to labour in a "normal sized" bath tub.)

Baby # 5 was also a water birth (after experiencing it the first time I wouldn't even consider going back to a non-water delivery). Probably the fastest and easiest birth of them all. Stage 2 (pushing) was quick and easy this time - one push and the head was out, a second push and shoulders/body were delivered.

I believe that the water helped me to relax, which reduced pain and sped up my deliveries... and babies didn't try to breath until their faces hit the air!

Water births are wonderful and I'd highly recommend that you consider one for yourself.

Do you have any questions or fears about a waterbirth? Post back here and we'll do our best to answer.

Watch this video to see how the water soothes this mother as she gives birth to her second child.

Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 9th January 2012 at 02:43 PM.

i too am considering a waterbirth. Unfortunately i think i may come up against some problems with the hospital. i am expecting our 9th child. I have had 3 vaginal births, 4 c/sections & a successful vba4c. with my vbac i found the shower very helpful so the natural progression would be a waterbirth. I am a little too high risk for a homebirth. as this will probably be my last birth I am going all out to try to have the birth that i want. i am meeting with midwives at john hunter, newcastle soon & am hoping they will be open to the idea. fingers crossed xx

Hi Gerri,

I'd present the idea that you want a waterbirth to the midwives and if they are hesitant then at least push for having a labour pool in the room so you can labour in the water. Try to have a labour advocate there (doula or midwife that's supportive of your desires) and if you're labouring in the pool and it's getting close to delivery, your support person could be your advocate at that point, to just let you deliver in the water.

It's important to surround yourself with people who are strong and can be your advocate when you're getting to the end and you are so fully inwardly focused on just birthing the baby.

I hope you're able to have the birth you want. How old are you and when is your baby due? Congratulations on baby #9! I'm so excited for you.

Warmly,

Kate

Administrator
    Hi Gerri - Many public hospitals are very open to you bringing in your own birth pool. Remember that with any discussions with the hospital ultimately you have the choice of what you want in labour - it is your body and your birth. Labouring in water certainly may help your labour - particularly if you have another posterior labour. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of help.
    Hidden Content

Hi, is water birth recommended for first born babies? and how or what do you feel when your having a waterbirth? like is it painful like hospital deliveries? and what's the difference between hospital delivery and water birth.

I am not pregnant yet, but I am just curious and trying to check some options

beh_joanna- There is no reason that a waterbirth would be contradicted for a first baby, many women have their first babies in the water. As for the pain level, every women will experience something different during birth but most people who have experienced both a waterbirth and a hospital birth feel that the pain was much less during the waterbirth. I hope that helps!

Good luck! So nice to see someone proactively exploring their options before conception.

I agree with mom2many, and it is wonderful that you're exploring your birth options now.

When I had a waterbirth with my 4th baby, the midwife said that the water acts like a natural epidural. I've never had an epidural, but I'd have to say that the water definitely was a benefit over not being int he water. I was more relaxed (love the warm water), the water supported my belly so I felt "lighter", and my labours during my two waterbirths were the fastest of all 5 of my births.

But the most noticeable difference was that with my waterbirths, I did not need an episiotomy and I did not tear at all so healing was faster (let alone that I didn't have to be stitched up afterwards).

The only thing that might keep you from being a waterbirth candidate would be if your medical practitioner had a good reason. But as mom2many mentioned, many moms have home births with their first babies.

Warmly,

Kate

A friend of mine tried waterbirth as well. I was so scared, as she gave birth to her baby under her husband's control. For me it was so strange, but everything is all right with their child. If I decide to do waterbirth, I will do it with the doctor, of course.

Hi Pamela,

I'm pleased to hear your friend had a healthy baby after a waterbirth but sorry that you found it worrying.

Waterbirths are known as a safe way to give birth and can help a woman to give birth naturally as the water acts as a natural pain reliever. Many women also find the warm water a calm environment to be labouring in and to give birth in. You can have a waterbirth as a homebirth (where a midwife can attend to your home) or in a hospital (most hospital now have birthing pools or allow you to bring your own inflatable pool). Did your friend have a midwife present at the birth? Did she plan for a homebirth?

Best wishes,

LJ