Menstration Cycle

Hi,

I gave birth two years ago. Since then, my flow became irregular. It is heavy and painful most of the time unlike before. I am having back pain and headache at the same time and it is really stressful every time I have my period.

Hello rballermo1008,

Please post the last 3 or 4 dates that your period started. This will help me see if your cycles are regular or irregular. How many days during each cycle are you bleeding? Also, please explain what your bleeding is like. Is it brown then goes to red, or does it start out red? Is it dark red, bright red, pink, etc.? Are there any clots or "strands" of blood that you can see on your pad?

Also, please share all symptoms you have when you are having your period. Is it just back pain and a headache or do you have other PMS symptoms?

I have lots of suggestions for things you can do at home so that your period is not painful and so that your cycles become more regular.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

I started my cycle on the 20th and I still have until now. It usually takes 5-6 days after giving birth. I consumes 4-5 pad a day. It starts with a brown discharge then bloody red with stands on the 3rd day and that is the most painful part. I cannot stand and the backpain is really bad. I used to spend my third to fifth day on bed taking ferrous supplement as prescribed.

I never experienced PMS before I got pregnant. Now, each time I have my period, I have a lot of painful abdominal cramping, I cannot move, my head feels bad and I have nausea. Am I the only person experiencing this? I can't imagine this should be "normal". Is there anything I can do about it? I need advice

Hi rballermo1008,

Without knowing the first day of each of your cycles for the past 3 or 4 months, I can't tell if you're having regular cycles or not (around 28-30 days between bleeds). But there are a few things I can tell.

You mentioned that your periods start with brown discharge (which is brown blood) and then go into red. The brown discharge is old blood which tells us that your uterus is not completely emptying each month.

Periods should not be painful, and when there is pain associated with periods it is a sign of hormonal imbalance as is the brown discharge at the beginning of your cycle.

When you get pregnant, hormones change dramatically. Your body will produce much larger amounts of progesterone during pregnancy than when you're not pregnant. My guess is that after pregnancy, your hormones did not go back into balance.

Some of the simplest things you can do to balance your hormones are to make sure you are eating a fertility friendly diet. This means cutting out all sugar (except for the occasional treat, maybe once or twice a month), and cutting out all refined foods like white flour, fast food, deep fried foods and anything packaged. If it comes in a box, a package or a can, it likely has a shelf life longer than a week, and most things with a shelf life longer than a week have been stripped of much of their nutrients.

You'll want to focus on fresh produce including lots of leafy green vegetables. High quality animal protein and high quality essential fatty acids can also help to balance hormones. I would suggest taking 1 Tablespoon of organic Olive Oil 30 minutes before dinner every day, and also taking Cod Liver Oil according to the directions on the bottle.

Drinking fresh lemon water made from purified water with 1/2 of a lemon squeezed into it will help with digestion and also aids in cleansing the body.

One thing that is extra helpful is drinking freshly pressed juices. Fresh juices have amino acids and other nutrients that bottled juices don't have. Try to get 2 to 3 heads of green leafy vegetables into your body every day. The easiest way to do this is to juice the greens. One of my favorite drinks is 2 apples with some kale (kale is super high in nutrients).

To give you an example of how powerful juicing is... I'm 49 years old and I haven't had a period since February. I started doing a lot more juicing and drinking of green smoothies (getting lots more greens into my diet) in the past 4 to 6 weeks, and my period started again a few days ago.

Hormones balanced again, and my body was happy with that, so my period started again. If I continue on with the juicing and smoothies I'm guessing I may even have another period next month... and I thought I was going into menopause.

Green smoothies can be one of the easiest ways to get more produce into your diet because most people have a blender, but most people do not have a juicer.

Here's a video showing you how to make a green smoothie. You can add flax oil to your smoothie, or coconut oil or even olive oil and herbs too. I like banana, pineapple and orange juice with kale or spinach in my smoothies - that's my favorite, but I also like a lot of other kinds too.

I would highly recommend that you find an acupuncturist in your area that is knowledgeable in prescribing chinese herbs. Chinese herbs can help balance hormones and they are very effective.

If you can let me know about the length of your cycles (how long each cycle lasts) then I can give you some ideas on how to make them more regular, if you're having irregular cycles.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

I am glad I raised the question.

I will try your suggestions and chabge my meals.

Thank you.

Please let me know if there is any change in your condition during your next period.

Warm Regards,

Kate