Hybrid View

Questions about Pregnancy

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask about what's the best exercise for an 8-9 months pregnant women like me. I feel terrible with my back pain and heavy tummy, whenever I lay down I roll over either on the right side or on the left I couldn't move immediately because it really hurts, and when I wanted to get up I almost wanted to cry because of the extreme pain. This is my problem since my baby is 6 months and it became worse now that he is getting bigger. I have tried to ask my OB regarding this but I think what she's telling me isn't helpful. Please respond to my posts.

Thanks,

Joyce

Hello Joyce,

I would highly recommend that you see a Chiropractor who will help to adjust your pelvis and help your structural system to become aligned. A well aligned skeletal system could reduce/eliminate pain during pregnancy.

Another reason why it's so important to be sure everything is in alignment is because this will benefit labour and delivery. With my last 2 pregnancies, my midwife recommended that I see a Chiropractor during my last couple of months of pregnancy.

This made a huge difference in how I was feeling AND it made labour and delivery go much faster. The better positioned baby's head is as it descends down the birth canal the faster your labour will go.

Here's a video that shows a pregnant woman who is 37 weeks along being adjusted. Note that she is on her stomach for a very short time, but I never laid on my stomach during later pregnancy - just laid on my back and my side during my adjustments so each Chiropractor will adjust differently.

Here's a video that shows you how baby moves down the birth canal during labour so you can better visualize what your baby will be doing during each contraction. This particular video states that your doctor will give you an epesiotomy, but this is not necessarily true. I had an epesiotomy with my first baby because it was needed but I didn't have one with any of my other 4 babies.

I can't stress enough the importance of seeing a Chiropractor or an Osteopath that is trained in Cranio Sacral work - someone who can adjust your skeletal system so that baby has the best possible chance of being in a good position for birth. This will not only give you back pain relief now, but it could save you lots of money and possibly a C-Section that wouldn't have been necessary had baby been in better position before birth.

Something else that may help to give relief of back pain is wearing a pregnancy support belt that helps to support your belly and take pressure off your back.

Another thing you may find helpful is this thread where we discuss how to sleep comfortably while pregnant. There's even a video showing you just how to do it.

Please post back and let me know if you found any of this helpful. I'm also curious as to what your doctor said. Pain can be structural but it can also be muscular and can sometimes be helped by taking certain vitamins or minerals, if you have a deficiency. Be sure you're eliminating sugar from your diet and getting plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and that you're also taking your prenatal vitamin every day.

Warm Regards,

Kate

yes I am very greatful you adviced me to look for a chiropractor, and definitely my back pain is structural because I feel its my bones that are painful not my muscles

Hi jopoys,

Any luck in finding a Chiropractor? Also, I answered one of your other questions about the benefits of home birth verses hospital birth, and I'm wondering what you thought.

Warm Regards,

Kate