Hybrid View

VBAC and Bicornuate Uterus

Hello! I have a doula client who is interested in having a VBAC in spite of having a bicornuate uterus. I have been told by another birth professional that the odds of placental abruption are significantly higher in women with bicornuate uterus. What are your thoughts on this?

Administrator
    This is a really interesting question - I had to do some research as it is not a question I've been asked before. I did my usual searches using pubmed, medline and other databases that did not reveal any research. I found a post on VBAC and Bicornuate Uterus on the Lamaze forum by well known obstetric researcher Henci Goer - Henci found two studies that contradicted each other - one showed an increase risk in uterine rupture and the other found a decrease in the risk of uterine rupture for women with a bicornuate uterus having a VBAC. Needless to say that there is a distinct lack of research in this area to guide practice. I was reassured by the study in the American Journal of Obstetric and Gynaecology (Ref: 2007 Jun;196(6):537.e1-537.e11) that showed that VBAC for women with a bicornuate uterus did not increase scar rupture. This study however is retrospective (i.e. looking back on what happened). This type of study is not as reliable as a prospective study design.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thank you for taking the time to do some research for me. Your results are pretty similar to my own. I assume the lack of research is related to the fact that this is a somewhat rare condition. This is the second mother I have worked with that suffered from this particular abnormality however. The first mother chose to cesareans, though she did find a practitioner who was willing to give her a trial of labor. Until recently, I though the biggest issue was that the babies of women with bicorunate uteri are often breech. I do wonder what part the severity of the malformation plays.