High level of FSH, what to do?

Hello, I have a high FSH level and they are saying this is the main culprit why I'm not conceiving yet, is this true or not?

Hi Noemi,

When you understand what FSH does you'll better understand why it's so important to have low levels in order to conceive.

FSH is the acronym for Follicle Stimulating Hormone. When a baby girl is born, she is born with all of the egg cells she will ever have. Once a girl starts her period she will lose over 1,000 eggs every month. The reason for this is because each egg grows in a follicle, and each month thousands of follicles will be stimulated, by FSH, to start growing. Only one (sometimes two) eggs will fully mature so that it can be fertilized by a sperm.

When there are low estrogen levels, Follicle Stimulating Hormone is released in greater amounts because it is trying to stimulate the growth of a follicle in order to release an egg. So if a woman is peri-menopausal, or if her hormones are out of balance, the body will produce more and more FSH in order to stimulate follicles to develop.

And for this reason, if you get a high FSH reading on day 3 of your cycle, it's an indication that the body is releasing a lot of FSH (more than it should need to) in order to stimulate follicle growth. The body will try to do this for the rest of your life, even when you no longer have any more eggs, or when you have very few eggs left.

I noticed in your introduction that you mentioned that you are only 33 years old. This is quite young to have high FSH readings, but it's not unheard of. I recently met someone who said she went through menopause when she was 32, though the average age of menopause is around 52 years of age (some a little earlier, some a little later).

There is good news, though. I have seen excellent results from women who eat a highly raw diet, including at least 3 heads of dark green leafy greens each day. One of the best ways to get 3 heads of leafy greens into your diet is to juice them or add them to smoothies.

There are lots of resources out there to help you eat more raw foods, but to start with just try to get at lest 50% of your plate full of raw foods, mostly vegetables, and then gradually work up to being 80% raw.

Hope this helps you better understand why high FSH levels can keep a woman from conceiving.

Warm Regards,

Kate