Talking Whats wrong with my body?

I am 34 years old have one healthy daughter who is nearly 13 years old but my new partner and I are desperate for one of our own.

I have had two miscarriages now, one at 6weeks in 2013 and then another at 11 weeks (missed miscarriage +-6 weeks) in May 2016. My cycle can be anything from 28 days to 35 and I suffer with a lot of thrush, BV and UTI's.

My periods have also gotten much shorter and lighter only lasting about 2 or 3 days now.

Is there anything I should be doing? I haven't been on birth control for about 4 years now and we have a very healthy sex life. I do worry his sperm is the wrong PH balance which causes me to get Thrush a lot , could that be possible and would that effect us getting pregnant??

Any help would be really appreciated

Dear crimsonpea,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulty conceiving. That must be be really tough when you and your partner are longing for a baby.

I'm really sorry to hear about your miscarriages.

Please could I ask some more questions to help us to support you better with this. How long have you been trying to conceive for? You mention coming off from birth control 4 years ago but I'm unsure if you have been trying to conceive for all of this time.

What is your weight and general health like? Do you have any skin problems?

Have your periods suddenly become lighter and shorter or is this a gradual change? Periods lasting such a short amount of time could impact your ability to conceive as this may be indicative of a fertility problem. Have you seen your doctor about this? It would be wise to do so.

Are you aware that there are normally only around three days a month that you can conceive on? Do you track your fertile time of the month at all? A great way to do this is by looking at the changes in your cervical mucous each month.

What treatment do you normally have when you suffer from thrush? It is possible for thrush to be caused by acidic sperm, however, this is just one possible cause for thrush.

Is your partner healthy generally?

With warm wishes,
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 10th August 2016 at 01:03 AM.

We have been trying to conceive properly for over a year now... before we were just happy to let it happen whenever. The first miscarriage i was ok about as it was early and i know it does happen but the most recent one was harder cause we were actually trying to get pregnant and were so excited when it happened.

I am 5.6 and weigh 62kg.... i am healthy and exercise quite a bit. I dont have any bad skin but do get one or two spots each month on my face when my period is due. The periods have gotten lighter over time same as my cycle getting longer.
    My partner is very healthy too and was a professional athlete and is 33 years old.

Does acidic sperm effect the quality of sperm or does it just cause thrush... i sometimes use the oral tablet but other times the pessary. I am seeing the doctor about this as it is happening more often since we are actively trying for a baby.
    i was tracking my cycle using an ovulation app on my phone but as my cycle changes i dont think the app is doing it right or just averaging my fertile time.

What do shorter periods mean??

Your BMI (body mass index) is 22 which indicates a normal BMI, although, your ideal weight for your height would be around 6 to 10 kg less.

Do you have any problems with excessive hair growth? I'm just wondering if you having PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) could be a possibility. This condition frequency affects ovulation (it means a woman can have infrequent ovulation or even not ovulate at all; this means irregular periods) and is also associated with: difficulty maintaining a healthy weight (despite a healthy lifestyle), excessive hair growth and acne. The good news if you were suffering with PCOS is that most sufferers are able to successfully conceive with the right management or treatment.

Have you spoken to your doctor about the changes in your monthly cycle? Your doctor could also rule out/ test for PCOS if you think it could be a possibility.

On average it takes a healthy couple 6 months to conceive but up to 12 months is considered normal. If it is taking more than 12 months to conceive then it is advised you see your doctor to rule out fertility problems. Note that from the age of 35 a woman's quantity and quality of eggs start to decrease significantly.

I think that tracking the changes in your cervical mucous should give you a better indication of when your fertile days are each month compared to the app. You could also use a home ovulation predictor testing kit. Your cervical mucous should reach a point each month where you are able to stretch it a number of inches (ideally 5-6 inches) between your thumb and finger. Do you think you experience this? If you do not it is an indication of ovulation issues.

The length of your monthly cycle can indicate if you have a hormone imbalance or any issues with ovulation.

Are you aware of any issues with conceiving which your mother had?

Normally, sperm would be alkaline and the cervix acidic and these conditions aid conception. An imbalance in either of these could cause problems conceiving as it could affect the survival of the sperm.

Wishing you all the very best with conceiving again very soon,
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 11th August 2016 at 12:14 AM.