How to introduce new nanny to baby

Hi!

I have a daughter who just turned 2 this month. I was a working mom when she was newborn up to 9 months old, then i decided to be hands-on in taking care of my child. Starting then, I never got any nanny for her until she turned 2. Now i hired a new nanny to help me take care of her but she seem not to like the nanny. My child always started crying whenever she would see her. Do you have any tips on how i could successfully introduce a new nanny to my daughter?
    Thanks!

Bellisimum

Hi Berllisimum,

It sounds like your daughter is very attached to you, which is a good thing. You want to have a strong bond with your child.

But if you feel you need to have a Nanny, then one of the easiest ways to help your child get used to her is to just have the nanny come over and spend time with you and your daughter while you are home.

If you're going to pay the Nanny to do this, then your Nanny could help with housework, help prepare meals and, of course, play with your 2 year old. But the main focus of the Nanny should be in helping you with housework and interacting with you, not your 2 year old.

This will allow your daughter to develop a relationship with her nanny in a non-threatening environment... similar to how she would develop a relationship with your best friend.

As your daughter warms up to her, then the Nanny would naturally take more of an interest in playing with her, reading a book to her, feeding her, changing her (changing her would come when the relationship is well established).

You could also go on outings together. Go to the park or the store, but have your Nanny with you for these outings.

I would encourage this interaction to take place every day for a week, for just 3 or 4 hours in the morning each day. My guess is that after a week, your daughter will have warmed up to the new Nanny.

The following week, do the same thing, except during this week, you will want to leave for short times. Leave for 30 minutes to run to get some food. Then leave for an hour the next day. Leave for 2 hours the next day, and so on, until you find that your child is very comfortable being left with her Nanny while you are away.

Are you planning to go to work full time, or are you just needing a Nanny to help out periodically while you and your husband have a "date night" or while you run an errand?

What I just mentioned above works well if you are planning to transition most of her care to the Nanny. If you just need a babysitter for the occasional "date night" then we may need to discuss other options because that becomes much more difficult for a 2 year old.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hello Kate!

Thank you very much for the tips on introducing a new nanny. I will try these tips and keep you updated for the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Bellisimum

I was thinking about hiring a nanny. I go to work and my parents are getting older. I need a younger person to take care of my 2 year old daughter. My question is how to choose a nanny? I know what my daughter needs, but I don't know what kind of qualifications to ask for, or it would be better to hire a neighbour?

Dear Jasmin,

Thank you for your question.

There are different childcare qualifications and regulations in different countries.

In Australia, the National Childcare Accreditation Council has produced this information on choosing good quality childcare. It is wise to consider using a properly accredited childcare provider.

Here is another useful information leaflet on Choosing Childcare. Even if you live in a different area or country to that covered in these leaflets they give some important pointers for assessing if a certain childcare provider is right for your child.

I hope this is helpful but please do post back any further questions you have on this subject.

Warm wishes,
    LJ