Questions about Pregnancy

I have a question about the advantage and disadvantage if I am going to give birth at my own house and if I am going to give birth to a Hospital. Please help me about this, because I have hospital phobias during my first born baby. I am desiring for a very encouraging answers please.

Hello jopoys,

This is one of our favorite topics here on the forums because it allows us to share information that will empower you and help to put your fears to rest so that you can look forward to the birth of your new baby.

On a personal note, I do not like hospitals, myself. I know they can be beneficial at times, but for most women, they simply are not necessary for birth. Hospitals are for the sick, they are not for healthy mums preparing to give birth.

My first midwife required that I be 10 minutes from a hospital in case she needed to transfer me there in an emergency. My second midwife did not have this requirement. That all comes down to what the midwife feels comfortable with.

Midwifes are very skilled with their hands and they monitor you and your baby frequently throughout labour. Doctors delivering in hospitals usually come in at the last minute to catch your baby, but it's the nurses who do most of the monitoring of you during labour... nurses that you're not familiar with and who aren't familiar with your history and with your personal desires.

Sometimes in the hospital they will screw a monitor into the baby's scull which then means you're pretty much confined to the bed during labour. But more often than that they will actually put a strap around your belly to monitor contractions which, again, means you are confined to labour in bed.

A midwife who is attending to you at home will use a doppler to monitor baby's heart tones during labour. She will do internal checks between contractions which is so much more comfortable than having a nurse or doctor check you during a contraction. Sometimes it is necessary to check during a contraction, but I can only remember one time when the midwife had her hand in me during a contraction, and that was after she turned my baby from a posterior position to an anterior position and wanted to keep baby in place during a contraction so that the contraction would bring baby down further in my pelvis, "locking" him in place in hopes that he wouldn't turn again (which he didn't).

Midwives have a much lower C-Section rate than doctors do. Most doctors have a C-Section rate of 25%-30% whereas midwives have a C-Section rate of about 3%-4%. The reason for this is because they are more willing to watch you longer, to see what your body does, and they are very skilled at using positioning during labour, homeopathic remedies and/or herbs to help labour progress and avoid the need for interventions.

Once interventions start in the hospital, you have a much higher chance of needing more interventions, and one intervention can lead to another, often ending in a C-Section which truly would not have been needed had the doctor taken the time to really be with the labouring mum, monitor her closely, and work with her to do everything possible to give birth naturally.

With my first baby, her heart tones dropped at the end and were not recovering as quickly as the midwife wanted, so the midwife ended up giving me an epesiotomy and used her hands to help me bring my baby out. Had I been in the hospital, they most likely would not have let me go as long, and I would have ended up with a C-Section.

Midwives will allow you to eat and drink as much as you want while you're home, whereas hospitals will only allow you to have ice chips once admitted. Hospitals will put a hep-lock IV in your hand when you are admitted, just in case they need to use the IV. Midwives can give an IV but they won't do it unless it's needed.

Midwives are highly skilled in offering helping a woman labour in different positions that encourage better positioning of baby to help labour progress faster. Water is often used to help women relax and has been coined as a "natural epidural". I laboured in the water with 4 of my babies and actually had two water births with the last two babies, where the babies were born underwater. Babies won't try to breathe until their faces hit air. My water births were the fastest and easiest of all of my births.

Here's a video of a home water birth. Interestingly, this mum says that she chose a home birth due to the videos she watched on youtube. You will notice that after baby is placed on mum's tummy, the midwife covers the baby's back with a piece of plastic. This is the first time I've ever seen this, as my midwife just had warm blankets that she put on the baby, and then changed as they got wet. But I understand why the midwife used a piece of plastic. It is a good insulator and helped to keep baby warm. I would encourage you to ask your midwife what she uses to cover the baby once the baby is born. I would have just assumed warm towels and blankets had I not see the plastic this midwife used.

It truly is not too late to switch health practitioners. Most midwives will take on a client who is in her 8th month of pregnancy.

I would encourage you to start calling around to get some names of midwives in your area. Sometimes Chiropractors will know of midwives. Sometimes insurance companies will have names of midwives that they can give you.

I can also give you tips on how to interview and select a midwife.

And if you decide to have a hospital birth, I can give you suggestions of how to increase your chances of having a better birth experience in the hospital.

Another option is a birth centre.

Something you may find interesting is that countries where mothers give birth at home have a lower mortality rate than countries where mothers give birth in hospitals.

I'm happy to guide you through this so that you can have birth experience you want.

Here is a page with lots more information on home birth. Please take a look at it.

Warm Regards,

Kate