Hybrid View

Is it ever too late to start wearing your baby?

Hello,

I have a preterm baby that is now 8 months old and I have tried several times to wear my baby but he doesn't seem to like it. I've also a sling and a wrap and he just cries when I put him in it. Is it too late now that he's bigger to try the baby wearing method anymore? Is there any way to encourage him to like it?

One of the best ways to help your child to like a carrier is to try different positions with the carriers. Your son may prefer to face outward, looking at the world around him. You can use a sling to carry him facing outward even if his neck muscles are not strong yet. Here's an example of how to do this:

If your baby's neck muscles are strong enough (he can hold up his head when sitting), you can try propping your baby on your hip in the sling. You would still support his back, but he will be sitting up rather than laying in the sling. Here's a video of a sling that is used for the hip hold. Baby should be 6 months or older and able to hold his head up in a sitting position. I don't know where your baby is right now, developmentally, but you can determine if he is ready for this hold or not.

I will post more videos in the next post.

You'll find some good baby wearing information here and some baby carriers here.

Most babies need to be about 5 or 6 months before they can be worn facing out, but here's a video that shows you how to wrap your baby facing out as early as 3 months of age.

This video shows a carrier that allows you to buckle baby in facing out. Baby must be old enough to hold his head up without support for this carrier.

And last, but certainly not least, is the backpack. I used the backpack more than any other carrier because it gave me a lot more flexibility to get things done. Hands free, baby was happy, and I could make dinner, vacuum the house and even clean the bathrooms. Just make sure the should straps are securely over baby's shoulders so that when you bend over they stay snuggly in the carrier. I often forgot I had a baby on my back when I was shopping or doing house chores and would bend over not realizing that baby was on my back. My babies were always safe because I always put the shoulder straps on. They loved the backpack and often feel asleep in it.

Here's a video showing probably a 6 month old in a backpack.

I don't think it's ever to late to try a baby carrier. Try different positions and different carries and I'm guessing you will find one that works for bub.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I do not think it is ever too late to try it, unless your baby has become uncomfortably large. I highly doubt that would be the case with your little one, as I know many women, including myself, baby wear well into the toddler years.

I second Kate's mention of the back carrier. Front-facing carries have always made me a bit weary, but backpack carries are fantastic. Baby is usually entertained by their surroundings but still very safe. You also have totally free front side. It is important to make sure the baby has strong enough neck muscles and is not frightened by riding on your back. My children were probably around eight to ten months when I first started to back carry them. It can feel very awkward at first so practice in front of a mirror and have a friend or partner there to spot you until you figure out how to get them safely inside.

You may also want to look into local babywearing groups. I know we have one in my area and it is fabulous. The leader has an incredible carrier lending library and the group meets once a month to practice different carries and talk. There are so many knowledgeable, experience women in the group. They are great at helping mums to figure out any issues they have with carrying.

Mums just be careful with your own backs!

With the passage of time your baby will be use to, so keep on trying wearing baby wear.

I see loads of babies who are desperately uncomfortable just laying on their backs in a cot because they have not adequately released from their bodies some of the stress and strains encountered in pregnancy and delivery. This does NOT apply to ever baby!
    However many babies are uncomfortable in these slings and if they just do not "get used to it" then you need to consider that they may have a problem that needs looking at.
    Hidden Content

Dr Roger Kingston DO
    Osteopath & Cranial Osteopath

Hidden Content