Hybrid View

My premature son seems to be congested often

Hello,

I am the mum of a preterm baby boy who was born at 32 weeks. It seems as though my son has been congested more times then not since he was about 2 or 3 months old. He is now 8 months old and I am wondering if this issue is because he was preterm. Do premature babies have congestion problems often? If so, is there anything I can do to prevent this problem?

Hi Jen,

If your son does not have a viral infection (like a cold) then he could very well be sensitive to cow milk. Do you know his blood type?

People with blood type A produce more mucus and phlem when they ingest cow milk products like milk, ice cream, cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt.

My 3rd child is blood type A, and I noticed within a few days of birth that he was stuffy all the time. Like he had a stuffy nose, but he wasn't sick. I thought it might be allergies to dust (but the doctors told me babies can't be allergic to dust) and then I thought he might just have a cold (with no other symptoms). The doctor told me to give him a decongestant, which helped, but I didn't want him to have that often, and it didn't solve the problem (I'm all about getting to the root of the problem... the cause).

Then, when my son was almost 3 months old, he had open heart surgery to correct a congenital heart defect which he was born with. I expected him to be stuffy after surgery, but oddly, he had no problems at all with stuffiness.

Then, when we got him home, the stuffiness came back. As I was reading through my "Eat Right 4 Your Type" book, I learned that people with type A blood create more mucus from dairy products, especially cow milk products.

And then I figured it out. He was sensitive to the dairy I was eating. While he was in the hospital I didn't have any dairy. I stayed by his bed all the time, except for during nurse shift changes, and I ate dried fruits and nuts and drank water and juice. When I would go to the cafeteria during shift changes, I would grab a quick burger. But I never had any dairy... and so while I was pumping and breastfeeding my son in the hospital, he wasn't getting any lectins from dairy that had previously been in my breastmilk.

He was so sensitive, he was reacting to the lectins in my milk even after I had already digested the dairy. I proved this every so often when I would be tempted to have ice cream, and after eating it, my son would get stuffy again (poor baby). So for over 2 years, I avoided dairy, and once he was done breastfeeding, I was able to enjoy it again. A small price to pay for my baby to be able to breathe better without medication.

My son is now 14 years old and to this day, he has digestion challenges with cow milk. He did very well on goat milk which is easier to digest and even now will drink some goat milk on his cereal or just have oatmeal without any milk.

If you choose to offer goat milk in the future, try to find raw milk that is either very fresh (within a day or two of milking) or that has been frozen within a couple of hours of milking. It stores well in the freezer.

I hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 15th December 2012 at 02:39 AM.

Kate- I never even thought about the fact that it could be due to diet. I'll have to look into this. Thank you so much for your help. I know sometimes he has had other symptoms, but sometimes it seems that it is just a bad congestion problem.

Thank you again,

Jen

Hi Jen,

If you avoid dairy to see if it is part of the cause, you should see a change in him within a week. It should be noticeable fairly quickly.

Please post back and let me know if it works. If not, then try to give a little more information surrounding when you notice he gets stuffy, how long he stays stuffy for, etc. so we can try to figure it out.

Warm Regards,

Kate