What is the best way to increase breast milk supply?

Good day mums! I am a new mum and I'm having a difficulty expressing milk. On the first month, I have a lot of milk on my breast and I expressed it to avoid soreness on my breast. Eventually, on the second month, my milk supply rapidly goes down. As much as possible, I don't want to use formula milk so what is the best way to increase my production of milk?

Hi Shadelosreyes,

There are many things you can do to increase your breastmilk supply, but the very best thing is to be sure that baby is sucking at the breast often.

The reason your milk supply may have gone down was because you were expressing milk in order to relieve engorgement. Expressing milk does not provide the same stimulation to the breast that a baby's sucking does. Your milk supply will increase and decrease in direct response to sucking stimulation from your baby.

If a baby gets sick, they will tend to breastfeed more, and a mother who puts her baby to the breast often during that first day when baby is not feeling well, will have more milk for her baby the next day (it adjusts within 24 hours). When a baby has a fever, they sweat more and they need more liquids (milk) to keep from getting dehydrated. Babies who are sick also find that they just like to pacify at the breast as it comforts them.

So put baby to the breast often - at least every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Also be sure you are breastfeeding every 2 hours at night. I co-slept with my babies in order for mum to get enough sleep. Co-Sleeping makes it easy to awaken to a fussy baby, pop him onto the breast, and then both of you fall back to sleep while he happily suckles until he is full. So much easier than getting up and sitting in a chair while you feed, and then getting baby to go back to sleep.

Be sure you are drinking plenty of liquids yourself. Coffee and tea don't count, as they are diuretics and will cause you to lose fluid. Purified water is best. Always have a glass of water right by you when you are breastfeeding or pumping. You must have plenty of liquids in you to create plenty of milk for your baby.

Drink Mother's Milk Tea which has the following herbs in it: anise, fennel and coriander
    Mother's Milk Tea helps to increase breastmilk production.

It's also super important that you make sure you are getting enough rest. Anytime there is added stress this can affect breastmilk supply. Do whatever you can to make sure that you rest when baby sleeps. Housework can wait - but right now you need to be sure you stay healthy and rested so that you can give your baby the best of all you have.

Hope this helps. Please post back and let me know how old your baby is, how often you are feeding him and how many bottles of formula he is getting in a 24 hour period. Every time you give him a bottle, that is taking time away from the breast, and there's something you can do about this to make sure he gets enough food (formula/breastmilk) while at the same time, making sure he is stimulating your breasts more more milk productions.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thank you so much for the advice. I will surely do that from now on. I actually co-sleep with my baby since the day he was born. He is now turning to 5 months by the end of December. If breast milk, I feed him every 1.5 to 2 hours and if formula, I feed him every 3 to 4 hours. Because of my low milk production, I make it alternate when feeding my baby (breast milk, formula, breast milk). In average, he is getting 15 ounces of breast milk and 12 ounces of formula in the 24-hour period.

Donor milk is also an option, you can find out more at http://www.hm4hb.net/

Hi Shadelosreyes,

mom2many gave you a great link in case you are interested in feeding more breast milk until your supply increases.

However, if you're happy with the formula feeds then I would suggest that you feed your baby formula while you are breastfeeding. Sounds odd, but the way you do this is by using a lactation aid. This is a thin tube that you insert into the side of baby's mouth while he is drinking at the breast. He gets the milk you have while, at the same time, stimulating the breast to produce more milk AND drinking the milk/formula he needs.

It would be an ideal situation for you and help you increase your milk supply quickly.

Here's a video where Dr. Newman shows you how to use a lactation aid to stimulate more milk production.

Hi all

As Kate describes, I used a Medela Supplemental Nursing System (SNS), (which is sometimes referred to as a supply line) to supplement my baby when my supply was insufficient. My poor supply was the result of a combination of factors including a traumatic birth, high volume of blood loss, a really nasty bought of the flu a month after my baby was born, and high levels of emotional distress due to financial and personal issues.

Because the more baby feeds, the more milk you produce, using the supply line enabled me to supplement my baby (so she got the nutrition she needed) while my body got the stimulation it needed to increase my supply. This got us both through the rough patch enabling me to build both confidence and milk supply.

I also made a point of walking every day to get some fresh air, reduce stress and increase fitness, drank lots of water, ate oats for breakfast, and also drank Weleda Nursing Tea every day (which tastes lovely unlike many similar products).

My daughter is now just over 2 years old and I am still producing breast milk for her. I credit my success to the SNS and the steps I took to equip my body with what it needed to produce more milk!

Regards
    Yvette
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 2nd May 2013 at 01:06 PM.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content