Hybrid View

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea and Labor

With my third and fourth child I regularly consumed red raspberry leaf tea during my third trimester. It was also one of the supplements in the prenatal vitamins that I took during my pregnancy with baby four. I had a big cup of it right after my water broke with baby four (I did not have contractions prior). I kept waiting for contractions, finally asking to be checked to find out if I had made any progress after a significant number of hours had passed. When I asked to be checked I was a stretchy 6 CM. I was 8 CM dilated before I ever felt a single contraction and from that point on my labor lasted about thirty minutes. This was far different from my three previous labors, wherein my contractions began to intensify very early on and I had average length labors.

I have read that many women have experienced very easy labors after having indulged in a very hot, strong infusion of RRL in early labor. Anyone else have experience with this?

Administrator
    Sounds like you had a great labour experience. Raspberry leaf has been used for centuries by women in preparation for birth. My personal experience with Raspberry leaf was that it caused lots of painful Braxton Hicks contractions in pregnancy - so much so I chose to stop taking it. However as a midwife women tell me how they believe raspberry leaf is helpful for labour, making the labour more efficient and the birth positive.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I believe it was precisely that for me, it made the contractions that I did have more effective. I have heard a few other women say they had much stronger braxton hicks, I guess it effects everyone in different ways.

I used Red Rapsberry Leaf Tea during the last 3 weeks of my 5th pregnancy. I drank it 3 times a day according to the directions on the box. I didn't know about taking a very hot, very strong infusion during early labour.

I had fairly painful braxton hicks with the Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, as Jane did. They were the strongest braxton hicks I had out of all 5 of my pregnancies. I just figured that with each contraction, that "something" was happening and helping my body prepare for the birth.

That baby was 9 days late. I laid down at 10PM to go to sleep, and then labour kicked in. Baby was born around 5AM. What I remember is that as soon as I got in the warm water of the birthing tub, my whole body relaxed and contractions intensified. An hour later I asked my attendants to get my midwife (who was sleeping in the other room because she had just come from another birth). I remember one of the attendants tell me that it had only been an hour and I didn't need to wake the midwife (she was a student midwife and could check me). But I insisted that I wanted my midwife to check me (maybe I figured I'd get the most accurate reading from her - and I was desperate for an accurate reading as contractions were very intense). My sister-in-law, who had attended all of my 4 prior births told the student midwife that she felt that it would be good to call my midwife in (my sister-in-law could tell that I was in transition).

My midwife came in, checked me, and I was at 9cm. She didn't want me to push until I felt the urge, as I still had a small lip, but I completely agreed with that because I've found that when I wait for an urge to push, my pushes are much more effective and things go faster.

It didn't take long for me to feel the urge to push, and baby was born in two pushes.

That was the fastest, easiest birth of all 5 of my births and I believe that the Red Raspberry Leaf tea played a part in that.
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 4th February 2012 at 08:46 AM.

I never used it before. I have a thing with raspberries and tea haha. I really cannot seem to even have it, because to me it is not that good. Maybe that is because I am drinking something different. I have to say though that is a good pregnancy experience though. I wish I could have my baby naturally.

I always put some sort of sweetener in mine. Am I the only person who thinks all herbal tea pretty much tastes the same?? lol.

I am sorry you cannot have the birth that you want Lucky

Lucky - Be sure the tea is Red Raspberry Leaf tea and not just some kind of raspberry flavored tea. It's the Red Raspberry Leaf tea that has the properties to help tone the uterus.

Mom2Many - I think most herbal tea pretty much tastes the same too. I can tell the difference, but I'm not a big tea drinker.

Hello.
    I am currently 32wks along in my 2nd pregnancy and I have just started taking RL tea in a tablet form. My 1st pregnancy ended up in an emergency cesarean and I have read mixed information if it is suitable for me to take the tea because of this?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Administrator
    Hi Bella - Unfortunately there is very little research on Raspberry leaf tea. There are only three studies that I am aware of. I have two articles on my website that will give you more information Raspberry Leaf and Raspberry leaf: panacea for pregnancy and labour or problem? These articles talk about the current research available. Most of the stuff written on the internet is opinion based only - so it makes it difficult to make an informed decision. In humans no adverse effects have been found. There has been no specific research relating to women who've had a previous caesarean. Anecdotally women report Raspberry Leaf to be effective in improving labour outcomes. I don't know how helpful my comments will be - it is difficult to give a clear answer when evidence is lacking.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thank you for your info. I will read those articles. I think you are right, it's hard to make a decision when there is no clear studies or information. I think I can just read as much info as possible and decide from there. So far the possible benefits seem to be encouraging.
    Thanks again ��

Thanks for all the useful information I found on your site. I will bookmark and visit again. I found you while doing a search for “Red raspberry leaf tea”. Your site was most helpful in my research….

Hi suricruise,

I'm glad you found the information on red raspberry leaf tea useful. Please do post if you have any specific questions on this.

Have you had a read through the Raspberry Leaf article posted above? There is mixed research about the raspberry leaf tea but many sources cite that it makes contractions more efficient. However, because of this some health professionals advise that it is not consumed until the end of the third trimester.

Best wishes,

LJ