Hybrid View

How to get rid of cradle cap?

My son has cradle cap on his head and eyebrows. I'm using shampoo and massaging his head with oil but the cradle cap is still there. Can you give me some advice on how to get rid of this cradle cap? Thanks.

Hi,

What type of oil are you using? Coconut oil is particularly good at removing cradle cap. I find it easiest to use a soft baby brush to remove the cradle cap.

Another method is to put some petroleum jelly on your baby's head before bed, leave it on for the night, and then wipe it off the next morning. They may need a bath after this!

Lots of babies do have cradle cap at some point.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi LJ,

Thank you so much for your insight. I will try to do that and I hope it can take away my baby's cradle cap. Thanks.

Cradle cap has many causes, but I found that when I took Evening Primrose Oil (and was breastfeeding), that my baby's cradle cap cleared up because the Evening Primrose Oil that entered my milk entered my baby's system.

Research from Sweden suggests that cradle cap may be caused by an insufficient amount of an essential fatty acid called Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA.)

GLA is required for making healthy skin. The thought is that infants have an immature enzyme system and are therefore unable to produce sufficient GLA on their own which then causes cradle cap.

You may want to start taking some Evening Primrose Oil according to the directions on the box and you may want to do more research on this to see if there is a therapeutic dose that is recommended.

After only a week or two of taking the Evening Primrose Oil, my baby's cradle cap started to clear up and eventually completely cleared.

Biotin deficiency has also been associated with cradle cap. Make sure that you are taking a high quality multi-vitamin (prenatal is fine during breastfeeding) and that it has Biotin in it (that's one of the "B" vitamins).

Please post back to let us know what works.

Warm Regards,

Kate