when will I start having breastmilk?

Im 34 weeks pregnant. When will I start having breastmilk? And what if I don't? any food that will help my body produce milk or at least an exercise?

When will breastmilk come in?

Hi iyah80,

Most women start producing breastmilk 2 to 3 days after baby is born. You will produce colostrum when baby is born and this is a sticky, golden substance that is packed full of immunity boosting properties. Then gradually your milk will come in. It will be a golden color to begin with, and then over the following few weeks it will become more white in color. My lactation consultant called this golden colored milk "liquid gold" because it is so important for baby to have.

After baby is born you can start drinking Mother's Milk Tea or taking Fenugreek or Milk Thistle. These are herbs that help with the quality and quantity of milk.

I left you a recipe for a green smoothie on one of your other posts. Drink green smoothies every day and this will help to nourish your body and help you to produce high quality milk. You'll also want to be sure you're drinking plenty of pure water each day because your body is producing large amounts of blood and fluid during your pregnancy. Then continue this after baby is born to help with milk production.

Take a look at the breastfeeding forum for more information on how to prepare for breastfeeding. If you have specific questions feel free to post. Once you hit 36 weeks post back with a question about how to be successful in breastfeeding and we'll give you some tips on how to position baby at the breast and how to make sure baby is getting enough milk so that things go as smoothly as possible.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi iyah80,

I see you have had some excellent advice above from Kate.

I just wanted to add that I have found eating oats helps with my breast milk supply. It's also a great way to get long lasting energy as oats are digested slowly by the body - just what you need when you are busy with a new baby!

Best wishes,

LJ