Pain and slight bleeding after cervical suture

After 2 losses, they decided to put in a cervical suture.

I had it put in Tues, under general anaesthetic, with an overnight stay in hospital. I have been released from hospital with instructions to just take it easy for a week, i'm not confined to bed rest, and have been told after a week to just forget its there and do everything i would normally do... did anyone else find this was the case when they have had this procedure? I've even been told by the ob that intercourse is fine in a couple of weeks aswell - i thought with something like this that intercourse would be a definite no no.

I had some bleeding while i was in hospital, which by wed night, had just decreased to blood in discharge, over the next few days, i still had blood in my discharge, and was a pinky brownish colour. This has happened on and off, and isn't there every time.

Last night (Fri) i started to experience bad lower back pain on the left side, the pain after a while continued around to my lower left stomach, then had a sharp pain where my leg joins my body. It was a constant pain, wasn't coming or going, and after taking a panadol gradually eased off so i could get some sleep, then woke up pain free.

As the day has gone on, i've experienced slight pain in my lower back, but it doesn't seem too bad at the moment.

I'm 16 weeks pregnant. Is lower back pain like this normal at this stage of pregnancy? Or has anyone else experienced any pain or much bleeding after having a cervical suture put in?

I hoping it may be nothing, or just normal, but because of previous losses (one at 17 weeks) i stress over any little pain i get. I experienced lower back pain, and lower abdominal pain just before i lost my last bub, but that pain came in waves and wasn't constant like this one.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated... don't get to see the ob until wed.

Hi Cuddoolz,

Welcome to the forums!

So sorry for the late reply. I was out of town so am just now checking posts.

I would encourage you to call your doctor with any lower back pain or cramping. I know you mentioned that you will see your doctor Wednesday and would love an update.

How have you been feeling in the past few days?

I will ask our resident midwife, Jane, to give you some feedback on whether lower back pain is normal in pregnancy.

Are you taking any herbs or vitamin/mineral supplements? I had lower back pain after I had my first baby because I didn't have enough calcium and magnesium in my system. Once I started supplementing with that, my back pain disappeared. But I'm a bit concerned about the pain at 16 weeks of pregnancy coupled with the fact that you lost one baby at 17 weeks.

Do the doctors truly feel that it is an incompetent cervix that is the cause of the miscarriages, or do they not know, and just decided to try it because it might help.

Please post back and let us know how you are doing. I can check my email frequently now and I'll subscribe to this thread so that I can reply as quickly as possible.

Warm regards,

Kate

Administrator
    Hi Cuddoolz - I would suggest that you contact your midwife or doctor regarding the lower back pain. They can work out if the pain is of concern or not. With anything like this don't hesitate to call them.

Some suggestions would be to consider taking a magnesium supplement (this can help settle things down). If you are experiencing discomfort submerging yourself in a deep warm bath can also help.

Back pain can be from structural causes - you could see a chiropractor or osteopath for advise.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Aussiemidwife had some great suggestions. I would definitely encourage you to see a Chiropractor or Osteopath that specializes in CranioSacral work. If your skeletal system is out of alignment and/or your cerebral spinal fluid is not flowing optimally, these things can actually contribute to the inability to get pregnant. When everything is in alignment, all bodily functions including the reproductive system work much better.

Here's a page that will help you find a Chiropractor and here's a page to help you find other practitioners in your area.

Please post back and let us know how you're doing.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thanks for the replies, for some reason i didn't get any emails letting me know i had a response. The pain eased and didn't return. I spoke to a midwife on monday about the pain, and she said that it is probably just from everything stretching. I saw the obstetrician on wednesday, and he was very pleased how everything is going, and told me i dont need to see him again for 6 weeks now. He checked the baby using an ultrasound and we could see the heart beat and bubs moving around, so everything is going well, no more spotting or anything since sun so all is well. Have a scan in a week and a half, midwives in 3 n a half weeks and obstetrician 2 weeks after that.

They don't know for sure that i have an incompetent cervix. After the last loss, we were told a heap of tests would be done to find out why its happening, but once we saw the obstetrician, he said no tests. He said by 17 weeks a loss is usually due to an infection, or an incompetent cervix. All my bloods and the tests on the baby came back showing no signs of infection, so he said we'll just assume its an incompetent cervix and put a cervical suture in and all should be well. I'm really hoping this is the answer.

Hi Cuddoolz,

It's good to hear from you again. So glad everything is going so very well. I hope the stitch is the answer to your losses. Sounds like bub is doing great! So exciting! Please keep us posted. We love updates

In order to receive email updates, you'll need to keep the following in mind. When you make a post or a reply, you will have the option of going "advanced". Click on that tab and it will allow you to subscribe to receive e-mails whenever someone responds to your post. The other thing you'll want to be aware of is that if you get an email notification and you don't click on the link to go back to the website to read the response, then you won't receive any more e-mail notifications until you click on the link. So best to always check the "advanced" options when making a post and always click on any links in emails to go back to the site and read responses.

You're doing great!

Warm regards,

Kate

Thanks for the tip.
    I am pleased to say that the bleeding definitely stopped and after a few more small issues through the pregnancy our little girl arrived safely last week at 38+6 weighing 5lb 14oz

Cuddoolz,

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. So glad to hear all is well. You are blessed.

Warm Regards,

Kate