Is it okay to undergo tubal ligation after second pregnancy?

I currently have 1 child and is 4 months old. But I'm afraid to get pregnant again. Or if ever that would happen, I'd like it to be the last because I think 2 child is enough for me. I want to know if it is okay to undergo tubal ligation after the second pregnancy?

Hello Shadelosreys,

Tubal ligation is a very permanent procedure for someone to have if they don't want to have any more children. It's considered sterilization and I've heard from so many women who had tubal ligation done and then regretted it so much.

Something to think about is this... What if your husband dies in a car accident and you re-marry. Your new husband may want to have a child with you.

There is such thing as a tubal ligation reversal but it is very expensive and many couples can't afford it.

There are many different forms of birth control available now but the one I've found to be the easiest and most effective to use is natural family planning. This is NOT the rhythm method. This method is just as effective as the birth control pill when used properly. There are no unpleasant health risks or side effects. It is simply watching your body's fertility signs so you know when you're fertile and when you're not.

My husband and I used this exclusively, the first 7 years of our marriage and it was 100% effective.

I hope you will consider waiting on the tubal ligation because it is so permanent and if you do decide to do it, just make certain that you won't regret it later.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thank you for the insight about tubal ligation. It made me think and now I decided not to do it so I don't have regrets in the future. I also read the "Natural Birth Control - Natural Family Planning" thread. It is really helpful. Thanks again.

My thoughts were basically the same as Kate's. I know women who had a tubal ligation after one or two children and came to regret it immensely later in life. Though reversal procedures exist they are very expensive and have a high failure rate. I would definitely explore other options before taking that route. Also, remember that it is surgery and comes with multiple risks.

-Angela

Hi shadelosreyes,

Glad you found the Natural Family Planning thread helpful. If you have any questions as you watch your fertility signs and want a second opinion on what's happening, feel free to post. You can even take a picture of your mucus (stretch it between two fingers) and post it here. I can often tell by a picture where a woman is in her fertile window or even if she's fertile at all.

Warm Regards,

Kate