What causes a blue baby?

What causes a blue baby?

motherlywidow,

Sometimes babies are born and appear to have a blueish tint on their bodies that tends to last a few moments. In no time the babies color returns to a peachy soft pink color.

Their are 2 reasons for this common occurrence.
    One is that the lungs are not getting enough oxygen. Since oxygen is what makes blood turn red, blood cells without oxygen remain blue ("cyanosis").
    The second is the underlying blood is moving sluggishly, so the normal veins underneath that carry blue, oxygen-poor blood back to the heart are more noticeable.

You can tell if there is insufficient oxygen in the blood by checking the color of the skin all over your baby's body. If there is a bluish cast everywhere (especially in areas with a lot of blood flow, like the lips, tongue, and vagina or scrotum), this could mean all of the blood is blue and there could be a problem with the heart or lungs.

More commonly, it's only certain areas -- like the hands, feet, or area around the mouth -- that look blue some of the time. This is usually perfectly normal. Most newborns experience the latter.

If you are concerned about your child's skin color it is best to do a through examination and give your doctor a ring.
    But you don't need to worry if your baby's hands and feet turn blue for a short period of time when the rest of the body is pink and your baby is breathing normally.

I do hope this helps answer your questions.

Please let us know how your little one is doing.

Blessings

Thank you!

Greetings! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my query. Your explanation is very enlightening. I truly appreciate it.

Warm regards,

motherlywidow

motherlywidow,

I am glad that you were able to gain a better understanding.

Blessings