Thread: Won't eat

Won't eat

Lately, eat time is not easy to my twin babies, 11 month, especially the younger. She sometimes just eat very little and refused it. I persuade her to eat more, but it not easy and take so much times and also make schedule become shifted. If she still doesn't want to eat, then I give another food, if it not work, then I give her milk and and snack. I'm afraid is not good for her health, and she become picky eater. When they were younger age (6-8 month) they ate very easy and almost ate everything I gave. They were introduced to solid food when they were 6 month. I wonder why it is more difficult now. If anyone who has been there before can give me any tips or ideas, I would be very grateful. Thank you for reading.

Hi TwoAngels,

In my experience - babies and toddlers often go through phases of not eating much and it is best to just not focus on it too much and they will, most likely, soon start eating more again.

Are your babies breastfed or formula fed or mixed fed? For breastfed babies, they can still get over 90% of their nutrients from their milk alone for babies up to 12 months of age. Indeed, whatever milk type they have they should still mainly be receiving their required nutrients from their milk so as long as they are drinking enough milk. I would not be concerned about how much they eat at this age as long as they seem well.

What type of weaning method are you using? The Baby Led Weaning mantra is 'food is for fun until they are one'. In other words, up to a year of age the main purpose of giving your baby food is for them to explore and play with it. It doesn't matter how much they eat. Gill Rapley (who wrote Baby Led Weaning) advises making sure your baby is not actually hungry (i.e. has had enough milk) when you offer them food up to 12 months of age. After 12 months, your baby will start to associate eating with alleviating hunger.

I hope some of this has been helpful for you. Please do post back if you have anymore questions.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 29th November 2012 at 06:50 AM.

Hi ljmarsden,
    Thank you for your information, it's very encourage me. My babies are mixed fed from birth until 8-9 month, suddenly they refused breastfed, (I don't know why) since then turn into full formula. I try to use BWL weaning method. Good news is they eat better now

warm regard,
    TwoAngels