Hybrid View

Menstrual Cycles

Hello,

How much time does it usually take for the menstrual cycles to reoccur after delivery? Does breast feeding have any role in delaying it ? For how many months should we wait, before we seek medical assistance for this? Are there chances for getting pregnant during this period?

It is highly unlikely that you would become pregnant during the first six months if exclusively breastfeeding and not having a period. However, it can be perfectly normal to go years without having a period, if continuing to breastfeed. I am a mother of four, currently breastfeeding a 23 month old and I have yet to have a return to menses. If you are breastfeeding and not having a period, chances are it is perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned with.

With that being said, most women will have their first postpartum period within a year of delivery if breastfeeding and within a few months if not breastfeeding. Though not always, this period usually indicates a return to fertility. However, menstruation is not the ONLY sign of fertility and may even be a misnomer.

Hi Mom2many,

I am breastfeeding my one year old daughter and has also not started on formula milk for her. So I am slowly thinking about reducing the frequency of breastfeeding. Thanks for the advice.

I have what I would consider to be normal menstrual cycles. They last anywhere from 23-26 days and average between 24-25 days. My cycles seem to be getting longer lately though, the last 6 months having been 24, 26, 24, 23, 26, 25, 25 and I am now on cycle day 28. Could mine be considered to be irregular cycles or are they just getting longer? What could be the cause of cycles getting longer?