Hybrid View

Arrow My helth and fertility

Hi all

I am 22 years of age and my height is 5 feet and 3 inch. My current weight is 53 Kilograms. I got married more for more than two years. I hardly got pregnancy once but that was a miscarriage at the 4 month of pregnancy. What I am really interested to know that does my body weight and height have a relation with pregnancy or not! Does slim figured ladies are more likely to get pregnant! Should I loose my weight?

Hi Sima,

At 5' 3", and 53 kg, it looks to me like you're at a great weight for conceiving. Women who are are a few pounds underweight have a much harder time conceiving than women who are a few pounds overweight.

The reason for this is because when a woman doesn't have enough fat reserves, the body thinks there's not enough food available, and it shuts down all unnecessary functions to fully focus on just keeping the body alive. Reproduction is not necessary for keeping a woman alive, so the reproductive system is one of the first to shut down. After all, a starving woman will have a hard enough time keeping herself alive and healthy, let alone trying to build bone, cartilage, and organs in a baby.

Too much fat, however, can also shut down fertility because the body knows that it will have a hard time sustaining another life to full term pregnancy, due to all the extra weight the mother is carrying (this would be the case in someone who is obese).

You are not obese and it sounds like you are not underweight. If anything, it may actually benefit you to add a couple of pounds, but I'd tend to say that what's going to be most important is adopting a preconception diet and lifestyle for both you and your husband, and then watching your body's signs of fertility so that you can see whether you're fertile or not, how fertile you are during your fertile window, and so that you can get your "baby making sex" timing perfect.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I also wanted to mention that the quality of the husband's sperm can contribute to miscarriage so it will be important for your husband to be eating a healthy diet, avoiding alcohol, coffee and drugs, and taking a multi-vitamin to help ensure that he is producing high quality sperm.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thanks Kate for the great advice.

I did't know all these. Your reply is very informative and easy for me to understand. I like it Kate.
    I will tell my husband about the multivitamins.

Have a nice time.

Sima