I was reading through this article on birth plans, and I completely agree with the statement, "The term ‘Birth Plan’ implies that there is some control over birth and that you are able to plan for it. The reality is that you have little control over labour and birth, making it very difficult to formulate any sort of plan. Perhaps it would be better to think in terms of listing ‘Birth Preferences’ or compiling a ‘Wish List’."

I like the idea of creating a birth preferences list or wish list, instead of a birth plan. I never actually composed a birth plan during my pregnancies, but I wish I had. I found that some of my wishes or preferences were not fully acknowledged once I was actually in labour. I love that the article I mentioned above includes a list of things you should include in a birth plan. If I had written one, I probably would have included information about being able to drink or eat during labour, using techniques to avoid pain medications, who could be present at the birth, and letting labour go naturally instead of encouraging it through artificial measures. Overall, I was relieved and overjoyed to have my babies after labour, but I do think it is important for women to be able to make their wishes known and to have their wishes respected during labour.

Did you have a birth plan? If you are pregnant now, are you going to create a birth plan?