Results 1 to 12 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Exclamation Allergies and other illnesses

    I'm in my 1st trimester now but been really sickly lately. I know that when you're pregnant you tend to generate twice the amount of mucus more than usual, but I've been getting allergy rhinitis like crazy lately ... recently now coupled with phlegmy cough and a slight fever!

    My doctor prescribed antibiotics for me to take to address this but I'm worried how this is affecting our baby. Will my baby grow up to be sickly too like me? How harmful is it to the baby now that I've been sick a lot? Been trying to get a lot of rest and sleep, and upping my dose of water and vitamin C. What else can I do?

  2. #2
    I would not worry too much about passing this on to your babe. Allergies do tend to be worse during pregnancy. Drinking plenty of water, taking vitamin C, and getting plenty of rest is the best thing you can do at this point. I would be hesitant regarding the consumption of antibiotics during pregnancy, more that I would be worried about something I cannot control. Try adding some probiotics do your diet to counteract the harmful effects of the antibiotics, for example kefir and yogurt. Also, you may want to try consuming a natural source of antibiotic relief, like apple cider vinegar or raw garlic.

    I hope you are feeling better soon!

    -Angela

  3. #3
    Hi mom2many! Thank you for the very helpful tips, wish I had learned of these sooner as I'm now off the antibiotics. I've been chugging lots of water and taking vitamin C religiously though since I discovered I was pregnant. Recently read about the benefits of yogurt too so I've been trying to stock up my fridge with more of that

    I was kind of dubious as to why my doc prescribed me some antibiotics but was too sick to question her at that moment and decided to just trust her and went right ahead with the medication. I'm feeling better now save for the yeast infection I've recently developed - I've never had this before so I did some research and discovered that this could be brought about by prolonged use of antiobiotics. Now I'm keeping myself busy trying to get rid of that. Sigh

  4. #4
    Glad to hear you are feeling better, yogurt should help a great deal with the yeast infection. Yeast infections are an unfortunate but common side-effect of antibiotic use, hope you find relief soon.

    -Angela

  5. #5
    Thanks Angela, your replies are always most useful

  6. #6
    Moderator
    buderimosteopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buderim, Queensland, 4556
    Posts
    55
    MSM can be extremely useful as a supplement with hayfever / rhinitis as it stops mast cells releasing histamine which then produces the symptoms. But I stress make sure you check with the pharmacist that this would be safe to take whilst pregnant.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by buderimosteopath View Post
    MSM can be extremely useful as a supplement with hayfever / rhinitis as it stops mast cells releasing histamine which then produces the symptoms. But I stress make sure you check with the pharmacist that this would be safe to take whilst pregnant.
    @buderimosteopath - will check it out! Thanks

  8. #8
    New Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by buderimosteopath View Post
    MSM can be extremely useful as a supplement with hayfever / rhinitis as it stops mast cells releasing histamine which then produces the symptoms.
    Is this a tablet? supplement or what?

  9. #9
    MSM is a supplement; you can normally buy it in a number of forms including tablet form. But you must check with your pharmacist or doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding and thinking of taking MSM.

    LJ

  10. #10
    New Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    MSM is a supplement; you can normally buy it in a number of forms including tablet form. But you must check with your pharmacist or doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding and thinking of taking MSM.

    LJ
    thanks for this info ! there are also natural remedies for hay fever right?

  11. #11
    Actually ginger, which you mentioned in a previous post, can also help to alleviate the symptoms of hay fever. I like to grate the ginger and make it into a hot drink. Using an onion per person a day in your cooking acts as a natural anti-histamine. Probiotic drinks are also recommended for hay fever sufferers, as are foods which are high in vitamin C (such as kiwi fruit, broccoli and oranges).

  12. #12
    New Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Actually ginger, which you mentioned in a previous post, can also help to alleviate the symptoms of hay fever. I like to grate the ginger and make it into a hot drink. Using an onion per person a day in your cooking acts as a natural anti-histamine. Probiotic drinks are also recommended for hay fever sufferers, as are foods which are high in vitamin C (such as kiwi fruit, broccoli and oranges).
    Onion as anti-histamine? that's new to me. though most of us here in the house doesn't like to eat onion but i can use it to sautee when i'm cooking. yes vit c for hay fever is good

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •