Hybrid View

Decaffeinated Coffee and Pregnancy

So there's already a lot of talk about the negative effects of drinking coffee when pregnant, but I've been a total coffee addict all my life and have been struggling kicking the habit since I found out I was pregnant (don't worry, I quit coffee completely by now except for the occasional sips here and there when I simply just cannot resist). But recently I've come across some readings where doctors say it's okay to drink one small cup of coffee a day, or just switch to decaf. How many teaspoons of decaf is therefore safe to consume in a day?

Some women do switch to decaf, which is alright. However, in all honesty, it takes a lot of chemical disruption to turn regular coffee into decaf. Drinking a cup or two of your regular brew is fine, I would opt for that over the chemical-laden decaf.

Best of luck!

Angela

Some studies show the best/safest coffee to drink in pregnancy is that which is decaffeinated by the 'swiss water process'. This is what I stuck to in pregnancy, although I still only had one cup a day.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Hi ljmarsden, thank you so much for your reply. I'm not familiar with the "swiss water process" so looks like I have some reading up to do! Do you think you could share some of the actual brands of decaf coffee that you drink? I have been dying for a cup of coffee for 3 months now haha

Hey Tara,

I looked up the swiss water process and found this http://www.swisswater.com/consumer, though it appears there are several brands. Hopefully LJ can share her favourite.

Also wanted to say that I give my doula clients samples of naturally decaf herbal "coffee" from Teecino and many women feel it tastes just like the real deal. =)

http://teeccino.com/

Hey Tara,

I can emphasise with you! I was delighted when I found out I could safely drink this type of decaf coffee in pregnancy! I like the brand Taylors - their decaf real coffee (comes in a blue packet) is decaffeinated using the Swiss water process and I reckon it tastes good.

Enjoy your pregnancy,

LJ

Angela and LJ

You have given me much hope! I shall scout to stock up on these this weekend! Thanks a ton!!!

You are very welcome. Please do post back if you have any other pregnancy related questions.

Best wishes,

LJ

Glad we could help! Wishing you a healthy and happy pregnancy. =)

-Angela