Question Pregnant, now what?

I just took a couple pregnancy tests, found out I'm pregnant. Now what do I do?! I am feeling a little lost and confused about what I need to be doing! :confused:

Hi Annie,

How exciting! Congratulations on your pregnancy. I understand the feeling of not being exactly sure what your next step should be, but you're in the best place you could possibly be in for support, encouragement and direction.

The first thing I'd like to share is that your first appointment with a midwife or doctor most likely will be when you're about 10-12 weeks along. I usually made my first appointment for 11 weeks because there was a good chance by 11 weeks that I would be able to hear my baby's heartbeat with the doppler.

Here's a video of a mum's first appointment with her midwife. It's got a lot of good information in it so I think you will enjoy watching it.

When was the first day of your last period? If you tell me that, I'll be able to tell you how far along you are and when your due date is.

When I say that you would make your first appointment at 11 weeks, this is 11 weeks from the first day of your last period, and your baby would only be 9 weeks in development.

With quite a few weeks before you would normally have your first appointment, you'll want to start looking for your caregiver right away.

I noticed that you posted that you are curious about the difference between having a homebirth with a midwife as compared to a hospital birth with a doctor, so I would encourage you to interview at least one midwife (if she comes with high recommendations - be sure you call at least 5 references and talk to each woman who had her as their midwife and birth attendant). I would also encourage you to talk to at least 3 doctors, if you're considering hiring a doctor to be your caregiver.

I can give you suggestions on how to choose the best midwife or doctor, if you'd like.

The last thought I'd like to leave you with in this post, is that you need to start taking a high quality prenatal vitamin today, if you haven't been taking this. You also need to watch what you eat and drink, what you breath (avoid pumping gas into your vehicle, if you can) and what you do.

Everything you expose yourself to, you will be exposing your baby to, and your baby is so tiny, that even very small amounts of toxins can affect baby's development.

Here's a page that talks about Preconception Care, and the things on that page are very similar to what you will do during your pregnancy.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thank you so much! This was all really helpful. The first day of my last period was December 3

Congrats Annie! You are very newly pregnant. Your expected due date should be around September 9, 2013. That date is based solely on your period. Remember, due dates are only an estimate, with ovulation, conception, and cycle length differing greatly from one woman to another. Most babies will be born between 38 and 42 weeks past a woman's last period. The due date falls in the middle at 40 weeks. However, very few women actually deliver on their due date and most go a bit over.

Now is a good time to begin researching pregnancy if you have not done so already. Read about the options for giving birth in your area and the benefits. Decide what sort of caregiver you would like to have whether it be a midwife, an obstetrician, or a general practitioner. If you haven't done so already, begin taking prenatal vitamins, cut down on caffeine consumption, and break ties with any unhealthy habits.

This is a wonderful time in your life, enjoy it! Congrats! Take care and keep us updated.

-Angela